Body Shop, Car Wash, Gas Station, Car Dealership or Public Garage
A licence is required to operate a body shop/car repair facility, car wash, gas station, car dealership or public garage.
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
Apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.
Original Documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID)
- Canadian Passport (Photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (Photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
Partnerships and corporations must also provide the following:
- a business location/address;
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement; and
- a partnership agreement
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report.)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation are unable to apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead;
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves; and
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification.
Prior to submitting an application, you must apply to for a Preliminary Project Review for Business Licence (LPR).
Applicants must register with the Ministry of the Environment if they provide spray painting or body and/or other vehicular repair which may release air pollutants or if they transport certain types of waste.
A copy of your Ministry of Environment certificate is required at time of application.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $276.22
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.