Commercial Parking Lot
Commercial parking lots where people are charged to park a vehicle require a licence.
This licence does not apply to:
- parking lots that offer free parking
- parking spaces rented on a weekly, monthly, or yearly basis for an individual’s exclusive use
- parking on driveway of residential buildings
- parking lots operated by or under the authority of the Toronto Parking Authority
- parking locations operated by City agencies, boards, commissions and divisions
- parking locations operated by registered charitable organizations
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
Applicants can apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID)
- Canadian Passport (Photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (Photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
Partnerships and corporations must also provide the following:
- a business location/address;
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement; and
- a partnership agreement
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report.)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification.
Each location to be operated as a Commercial Parking Lot (whether on a temporary or permanent basis) requires:
- a separate CPL Operator licence
- appropriate zoning clearance under existing zoning by-laws, in order to operate and be licensed.
Where the property owner and the operator of the parking lot on that property are not the same entity, the operator must provide to ML&S, proof of authorization from the property owner.
Applicants must provide an original criminal record/background check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
Note: A criminal record/background check is required for all corporate officers and directors.
Prior to submitting an application, you must apply to for a Preliminary Project Review for Business Licence (LPR).
Submit the following:
- A completed Acknowledgement Form (a form will be provided at time of application)
- Photographs of the signage posted at your parking lot premises
- A copy of your private invoice (front and back)
- If you are not the property owner, submit a letter of authorization from the property owner that indicates you are operating the parking lot on behalf of the property owner and are able to issue private tickets.
If you are not the owner, you must submit letter of authorization from the property owner advising that they approve of the issuance of City parking infraction notices and/or Toronto Police Services tow cards.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $281.39
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.