Driving School Operators (In-Vehicle Training)
Driving school operators who operate a driving school with in-vehicle instruction must obtain a licence.
Individuals, partnerships and corporations.
Apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office located inside the East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport (Photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (Photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
Partnerships and corporations must also provide the following:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
- a partnership agreement
- Or, a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report.)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation are unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification.
Applicants must provide an original criminal record/background check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
Note: A criminal record/background check is required for all corporate officers and directors.
Applicants must provide a schedule of rates for all services offered and classes provided.
Applicants must provide a list of instructors employed by the school.
A form will be provided at time of application.
Applicants must provide an original Provincial Driving School Instructor Licence issued by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation.
Applicants will be provided information outlining the streets/areas where driving instruction is prohibited.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
Applicants must provide a certificate of insurance with an OEF 6D endorsement. This endorsement can be requested from your insurance provider
We are only able to accept:
- Original completed forms that are signed and stamped by the insurer.
- Faxes and emails (of completed forms that are signed and stamped by the insurer) directly from the insurer.
An original provincial vehicle registration, where the name and address match the applicants.
An original valid Safety Standards Certificate by an approved Ministry of Transportation Vehicle Inspection Centre.
After a completed application is submitted, staff will obtain a copy of the applicant’s driving record abstract: a three year driving history recorded by the Ministry of Transportation. This record may also be supplied by the applicant, but should be less than 30 days old.
This record, along with other documents submitted, will determine whether there are concerns with the applicant obtaining a licence.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $312.55
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.