Protecting your privacy is top priority for the City of Toronto. You are seeing this alert because your web browser needs to be updated to access content on toronto.ca. You will need to download and install a more recent version of your web browser to use our website.
A dance facility where seating is not provided for all patrons. Food or beverage may be offered.
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to obtain a licence.
Apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office located inside the East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport (photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
Partnerships and corporations must provide:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
- a partnership agreement
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report.)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation is unable to apply in person, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead
provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation or,
- if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification.
Applicants must provide an original criminal record/background check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
Note: A criminal record/background check is required for all corporate officers and directors.
Prior to submitting an application, applicants must apply for a Preliminary Project Review for Business Licence (LPR).
Applications can be made at any one of the Toronto Building’s customer service counters or by email.
Applicants must provide proof of insurance in the following minimum amounts, exclusive of interest and costs:
– $2,000,000 comprehensive insurance against loss or damage resulting from bodily injury to or death of one person.
– $2,000,000 against loss or damage resulting from bodily injury or the death of two or more people in any one accident.
– $25,000 against loss or damage to property resulting from any one accident.
A form certificate will be provided at time of application for your insurance provider to complete.
Original completed forms that are signed and stamped by the insurer by fax and email directly from the insurer.
This will include:
- the maximum volume levels for music within the establishment
- the wattage of the music or sound-producing systems used in the establishment
- the sound insulation methods or mechanisms used within the building
This will include:
- A description of the manner in which people seeking entry or re-entry into the establishment, including the location of line ups, maximum number of people permitted to line up, and how lines will be monitored to ensure only the maximum number of people are waiting and that their conduct is orderly.
This plan will outline how the owner will ensure that all areas immediately adjacent to the establishment are clean and free of litter, refuse and other debris, as well as which containers will be installed and maintained to ensure cleanliness.
A signed Security Licensing Declaration form is necessary. A form will be provided at time of application.
Contact Fire Services at 416-338-9050 to request an inspection and corresponding occupant Load certificate.
Staff will conduct a property inspection once a complete application is submitted.
Applicants are not required to take any further actions at this stage.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $288.07
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.