Outdoor Marketing Stalls in Toronto/East York
Protecting your privacy is top priority for the City of Toronto. You are seeing this alert because your web browser needs to be updated to access content on toronto.ca. You will need to download and install a more recent version of your web browser to use our website.
Businesses can apply for an outdoor marketing display to display merchandise on the sidewalk in front of their business. The merchandise sold inside and outside must be the same.
Individuals, partnerships or corporations
Complete the application form and apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office located inside the East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.
*All fees include HST
An additional fee for the permit is required once the application has been approved. This fee is based on a variety of factors, including where your patio will be located. *All fees include HST
Area & Rate Code 1 (Area 2 in the bylaw)
Area & Rate Code 2 (Area 1 in the bylaw)
Area & Rate Code 3
East York Fee
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions):
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport (photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
Partnerships and corporations must provide:
- a business location/address;
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement; and
- a partnership agreement
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report.)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation is unable to apply in person, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead;
provide two pieces of identification for themselves; and
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation or,
- if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification.
All applications must include:
- Two copies of a detailed sketch showing all dimensions of the proposed marketing area and any awnings or enclosures.
- Measured distances between the proposed marketing area and the location of the street and City sidewalk, side property lines, fire hydrants, trees, and other permanent objects (i.e. hydro poles, tree pits, litter bins, etc.) on the street must be included.
- All measurements must be in metric.
All applications must include:
- Three photos of the boulevard stall, one from the front and one from each side; and
- Photos any awnings or enclosures.
A description of merchandise to be displayed.
If the marketing stall will have an awning, submit the following with your application:
- Certificate of Fireproof rating
- Mechanical specifications of the awning
- The awning checklist included in the application package.
Proof of at least $2,000,000 of comprehensive insurance against loss or damage resulting from bodily injury to or death of one or more persons, or from loss of or damage to property resulting from any one accident.
A form certificate will be provided at time of application for your insurance provider to complete.
Completed forms that are signed and stamped by the insurer can be returned to our office by fax or email directly from the insurer.
Applications take six to eight weeks to process. Staff will contact you once the process is complete.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee will be calculated based on a variety of factors, including where your patio will be located
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.