Pedicab Owner & Driver
A pedicab is a vehicle that can be pulled or pushed by a person, with or without an electric motor. A pedal-powered rickshaw is also considered a pedicab. Both the pedicab owner and driver are required to be licensed. For example, if you own and drive a pedicab, you will need two licences – owner and driver.
Owners: Individuals, partnerships or corporations
Apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office located inside the East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell, 3rd floor.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport (photo ID)
- Driver’s Licence (photo ID)
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
Partnerships and corporations must also provide:
- a business location/address
- a copy of provincial business name registration or signed franchise agreement
- a partnership agreement
- Or, a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report.)
If the president, director or officer of the corporation are unable to apply in person at the Licence and Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on the corporation letterhead
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification.
Applicants must provide an original criminal record/background check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
Note: A criminal record/background check is required for all corporate officers and directors.
A copy of the applicant’s driving record abstract: a three year driving history recorded by the Ministry of Transportation.
This record should be less than 30 days old.
Only Applies to Owners
Provide a photograph of the pedicab or portable display unit.
Only Applies to Owners
Applicants must provide proof of $2,000,000 in Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance.
A form certificate will be provided at time of application for your insurance provider to complete.
Completed forms that are signed and stamped by the insurer can be returned to our office by fax or email directly from the insurer.
After a completed application and all documents are submitted, staff will determine whether there are concerns with the applicant obtaining a licence.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee for drivers is $293.19
The renewal fee for owners is $281.39
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence within 90 days of the specified renewal date, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.