High Water Bill & Leaks
Protecting your privacy is top priority for the City of Toronto. You are seeing this alert because your web browser needs to be updated to access content on toronto.ca. You will need to download and install a more recent version of your web browser to use our website.
Sudden Increase in Your Bill
According to the American Water Works Association, the daily average water consumption for a family of four people is 1 cubic metre (m3), 219.97 gallons or 1,000 litres.
A sudden rise in the amount of your bill may be due to a number of reasons:
- Plumbing leaks in toilets and/or fixtures.
- An increase in the number of people living or working in your dwelling.
- A dry, hot summer, resulting in higher water use.
- An increase in the number of days in the billing period.
- Renovations, recent landscaping, or filling a swimming pool.
- Consecutive estimated water meter readings followed by an actual water meter reading.
- If your water was estimated and your consumption for previous billing periods was higher than estimated, you may see an increase on your current bill.