View your water usage.
Sudden Increase in Your Bill
According to the American Water Works Association, the daily average water consumption for a family of four people is 1 cubic metre (m3), 219.97 gallons or 1,000 litres.
A sudden rise in the amount of your bill may be due to a number of reasons.
- Plumbing leaks in toilets and/or fixtures.
- An increase in the number of people living or working in your dwelling.
- A dry, hot summer, resulting in higher water use.
- An increase in the number of days in the billing period.
- Renovations, recent landscaping, or filling a swimming pool.
- Consecutive estimated water meter readings followed by an actual water meter reading.
- If your water was estimated and your consumption for previous billing periods was higher than estimated, you may see an increase in your current bill.
If you see a sudden rise in your bill, you may have a leak in your private plumbing system. Learn more about water leaks, costs and how to spot a leak
. All water use, including water consumed by leaks, is your responsibility and will be charged to your utility account.