Jarvis Street to Cherry Street Rehabilitation
The City’s first project as part of the Gardiner Expressway Strategic Rehabilitation Plan will:
- replace the entire concrete deck and steel girders of the Expressway between Jarvis Street and Cherry Street,
- replace the westbound off-ramp at Sherbourne Street and the eastbound on-ramp at Jarvis Street, and
- rehabilitate the westbound off-ramp leading to Yonge, Bay and York Streets.
This work is using an innovative construction method called Accelerated Bridge Construction, which can reduce the construction time by approximately 40 per cent and minimize the impact on the travelling public as well as reduce noise and dust impacts.
This work on the Expressway is scheduled to begin later in 2019 and be completed by early 2021.
More information coming soon.
Construction & Traffic Updates
Access Platform Installation – Traffic Impact on Westbound Lake Shore Boulevard East
Dates: Sunday night to Thursday night, until July 12, 2019
Location: Westbound lanes of Lake Shore Boulevard East from Cherry Street to Jarvis Street
Time: Overnight rolling lane closures from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- This work will require intermittent 15-minute rolling lane closures hourly, overnight from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. on the westbound lanes of Lake Shore Boulevard.
- At least one westbound lane will always remain open to reduce the impact on traffic.
Work details: These closures will allow crews to install access platforms for forthcoming work on the underside of the Gardiner Expressway. Access platforms are necessary for crews to gain access to the underside of the Expressway to later complete necessary repairs to bearings and bearing seats.
Please note: After July 12, further lane closures will be required on Lake Shore Boulevard East between Cherry Street and Jarvis Street so crews can continue to install access platforms on the underside of the Gardiner Expressway and conduct other repairs. A series of lane closures is anticipated to continue until December and may take place during the day and/or overnight. The details, timing and impact of this work will be communicated in advance.
Construction Impact Notice for more details:
F.G. Gardiner Expressway Rehabilitation, Jarvis Street to Cherry Street – Access Platform Installation
- Construction Impact Notice (Dated: February 13, 2019)
Work zone map:
Below is an example of the access platforms that were previously installed on the Gardiner Expressway for work on the West Deck rehabilitation. The lane closures on Lake Shore Boulevard East will allow crews to install similar access platforms on the underside of the Gardiner Expressway from Jarvis Street to Cherry Street.