SAP Ariba – Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Ariba Network?
The Ariba Network is a cloud-based business-to-business marketplace where buyers and suppliers can find each other and do business within a single, networked platform. SAP Ariba solutions will allow the City to collect bids and proposals from potential suppliers and quickly compare them across multiple dimensions to determine which one presents the best value.
Why is the City of Toronto implementing SAP Ariba?
The City of Toronto is undergoing a broad Supply Chain Transformation that will modernize the City’s business processes, in turn improving the service we provide to you and, ultimately, making it easier for you to do business with the City.
The first step in this transformation is to roll out the Sourcing and Contract functionality of SAP Ariba. The City expects to see improvements in the procurement process by:
- Improving the number of bids on a Solicitation
- Reducing the risk of non-compliant bids
- Improving evaluation time for bids to award contracts faster
- Improving visibility and reporting on the overall process
Other changes that leverage the Ariba Network, such as Procure-to-Pay (which includes the purchase order and invoicing processes) are planned for 2019.
Do I have to register with the Ariba Network?
Yes. All suppliers wishing to do business with the City of Toronto will need to be registered on the Ariba Network.
Will I need to pay fees to conduct business on the Ariba Network?
For the purposes of sourcing (i.e., responding to published Solicitations and submitting bids or proposals), as well as for contract management, no fees will by incurred by vendors. This may not be the case once Procure-to-Pay (P2P) functions are automated in 2019, which includes the purchase order and invoicing processes. These P2P-related fees are expected to apply to PO spend and the volume of transactions transmitted. We will provide you with more information on potential fees in the coming months.
What's in it for me? How do I benefit?
Using SAP Ariba, procurement processes are automated and visible, making them more transparent and efficient. You will also see greater standardization in the way that procurement documents are formatted and written, which will simplify your interactions with the City. Other benefits include:
- SAP Ariba is a cloud-based solution, accessible anywhere the internet is available.
- E-bidding saves time and money by eliminating the need to drop off paper copies.
- SAP Ariba allows you to build your submission from the time of posting to the time of closing by providing you with a workspace to save your work.
- SAP Ariba has a robust notification function. Once you have identified your intention to participate in an event, notifications will be sent automatically when addendums are issued, competitions are extended or cancelled and for other related information.
- You will have a consolidated view of all opportunities you are intending to participate in or in which you have already participated.
- You will gain access to other procurement opportunities within the Ariba Discovery Network. This is a global network that allows you to search opportunities from SAP Ariba’s other customer organizations. Note: There may be costs involved to respond to opportunities with other organizations on this network.
- You can tailor your supplier profile so that you are notified of upcoming opportunities in categories of interest.
How do I sign up?
Registering on the Ariba Network is easy. Simply go to the City of Toronto Registration page and select “Login” if you are already an SAP Ariba User, or complete the information to register.
How will suppliers know when they are required to submit hardcopies of specific documents?
All suppliers will be notified of bidding requirements, including the submission of hard copies, in the body of the procurement.
After I save the tender, how do I go back in to change the price?
The system allows you to save you work and revise your response up until when you submit your final bid prior to closing.
How will procurements, which have prequalified suppliers, be handled in Ariba?
Those tenders will have a summary notice identifying the procurement as having prequalified suppliers.
Will the City offer a bid taker list?
No. In keeping with previous decisions, the City will not offer a bid taker list.
More Frequently Asked Questions
For opportunity / event content specific questions, contact the City of Toronto’s Procurement representative through the SAP Ariba Discovery Event Message Board.
For any general technical support of guidance using SAP Ariba, you may visit the SAP Ariba Help Desk or call toll-free in Canada: 1-866-218-2155.
Please also visit the SAP Ariba Learning Center. Other useful links on SAP Ariba include: