Special Needs Program Staff TR0001
Job Summary: To plan and implement safe, supportive and comfortable adapted and/or integrated programs/camps.
Machines and Equipment Used: Various office, Special needs and recreation equipment, first aid kit.
District(s): All District map (pdf)
Wage: View wage rate chart (pdf)
- Performs administrative tasks necessary to support the program.
- Provides support to participants ensuring that programs are modified to promote an inclusive environment.
- Advocates on behalf of participants.
- Ensures that consistent behaviour management techniques are followed.
- Complies with health and safety procedures when assisting participants with personal hygiene (i.e. Diaper change, feeding etc.), lifts, transfers and life skills.
- Reviews participant files and communicates information with appropriate staff.
- Assists with and/or administers medication.
- Maintains an inventory of all program equipment and ensures that it is kept in a state of good repair.
- Reports any damage to equipment and orders supplies.
- Interacts with staff, participants and the public to provide program information.
- Assists with the delivery of special events.
- Visits/supports various locations.
- Attends and participates in meetings and training sessions.
- Takes action to deal with incidents, problems and emergencies and comply with Divisional/City policies and procedures.
- Follows the principles of Healthy Child Development (HIGH FIVE®) in the planning and delivery of programs.
- Experience with or knowledge of disability issues.
- Relevant education is an asset.
- Must produce original current Emergency First Aid certification as recognized by the WSIB.
- Standard First Aid and Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation certification may be preferred for certain programs/camps.
- You must possess certification in Parks and Recreation Ontario's Principles of Healthy Child Development (PHCD). Applicants who meet all other qualifications and obtain a conditional job offer will be advised of PHCD course offerings in order to meet this qualification.