Provincial Offences Act appeals originating in the City of Toronto must be filed with the Ontario Court of Justice at Room 7, Old City Hall, 60 Queen St. West. Prior to filing an appeal the fine must be paid at any municipally operated Provincial Offences Court location and will be refunded If the appeal is successful. A recognizance must be applied for if a fine cannot be paid in advance. Forms for the Appeal process, recognizance forms and general information can be obtained at either the above-noted location at Old City Hall or at a Provincial Offences court office. When filing an appeal a transcript must be ordered and paid for, if a trial was held, The transcript must be ordered at the court location where the trial was held, except if the trial was held at Old City Hall, the transcript must be ordered at 137 Edward St.
Once a transcript is completed the POA court office will contact the ordering party. You must then pick-up and file your transcript with the Appeal court office within 30 days of notification. Failure to do so may result in your Appeal Application being scheduled before the Appeal court and noted as abandoned.
Instructions to litigants for filing an appeal (PDF)
Notice to Defendants
1. If you paid the fine and as a result of your appeal hearing today, the fine amount was reduced, please note the following:
- Once the appeal court office has informed the City of Toronto of the appeal court decision, the City will provide you with a refund. This amount will equal the difference between what you previously paid less the varied fine and any court costs that apply, including the victim fine surcharge
- If your case was referred to the Collection Agency prior to the appeal the collection agency cost is not refundable
2. If you paid the fine and as a result of your appeal hearing today, you were acquitted, please note the following:
- The City of Toronto will provide you with a full refund
- If you do not receive your refund 120 days after your request, please contact the City of Toronto at 416-338-7320 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. If you paid the fine and as a result of your appeal hearing today, the fine amount stays the same, please note the following:
- You will not receive a refund and monies will be applied to the amount owing.