||City of Toronto Council and Committees
||All Council and Committee documents are available from the City of Toronto Clerk's office. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Authority: Toronto Community Council Report No. 7, Clause No. 54,
as adopted by City of Toronto Council on May 11 and 12, 1999
Enacted by Council: May 12, 1999 CITY OF TORONTO
BY-LAW No. 282-1999
To designate the property at 337 Jarvis Street (Samuel Platt House)
as being of architectural and historical value or interest.
WHEREAS authority was granted by Council to designate the property at No. 337 Jarvis
Street as being of architectural and historical value or interest; and
WHEREAS the Ontario Heritage Act authorizes the Council of a municipality to enact by-laws
to designate real property, including all the buildings and structures thereon, to be of
historical or architectural value or interest; and
WHEREAS the Council of the City of Toronto has caused to be served upon the owners of the
land and premises known as No. 337 Jarvis Street and upon the Ontario Heritage Foundation, Notice
of Intention to designate the property and has caused the Notice of Intention to be published in
a newspaper having a general circulation in the municipality as required by the Ontario Heritage
WHEREAS the reasons for designation are set out in Schedule B to this by-law; and
WHEREAS no notice of objection to the proposed designation was served upon the Clerk of
The Council of the City of Toronto HEREBY ENACTS as follows:
1. The property at No. 337 Jarvis Street, more particularly described and shown on
Schedule A to this by-law, is designated as being of architectural and historical value or
2. The City Solicitor is authorized to cause a copy of this by-law to be registered
against the property described in Schedules A and C to this by-law in the proper Land
3. The City Clerk is authorized to cause a copy of this by-law to be served upon the
owners of the property at No. 337 Jarvis Street and upon the Ontario Heritage Foundation and to
cause notice of this by-law to be published in a newspaper having general circulation in the City
of Toronto as required by the Ontario Heritage Act.
ENACTED AND PASSED this 12th day of May, A.D. 1999.
CASE OOTES, NOVINA WONG,
Deputy Mayor City Clerk
SCHEDULE A TO BY-LAW No. 282-1999
In the City of Toronto and Province of Ontario, being composed of part of Park Lot 6 in
Concession 1 from the Bay, in the Geographic Township of York, designated as PART 1 on Plan 64R-
14680 deposited in the Land Registry Office for the Metropolitan Toronto Registry Division (No.
The easterly limit of Jarvis Street as confirmed under the Boundaries Act by Plan BA-1893
The hereinbefore described lands being delineated by heavy outline on Plan SYE2922 dated
April 23, 1999, as set out in Schedule C .
SCHEDULE B TO BY-LAW No. 282-1999
Heritage Property Report
Samuel Platt House
337 Jarvis Street
Table of Contents:
Basic Building Data
I Short Statement of Reasons for Designation
II Location Map
Heritage Property Report
Basic Building Data:
Address: 337 Jarvis Street (east side of Jarvis Street, north of Gerrard Street
Current Name: Toronto Baptist Seminary
Historical Name: Samuel Platt House
Construction Date: 1849-1850
Architect: none found
Contractor/Builder: none found
Alterations: porch and one-storey wing added; window sash altered
Original Owner: Samuel Platt
Original Use: residential
Current Use*: educational
Heritage Category: Neighbourhood Heritage Property (Category C)
Recording Date: October 1996
*this does not refer to permitted use(s) as defined in the Zoning By-law
When Toronto was founded as the Town of York in 1793, the area north of Queen Street was divided
into a series of park lots which were distributed to government officials. William Jarvis, the
first Provincial Secretary for Upper Canada, received a lot directly north of the townsite where
his heirs developed a country estate called Hazelburn . In 1845, architect John Howard was
engaged to divide Jarvis's lot into a residential subdivision entered via a tree-lined avenue
named Jarvis Street. While the upper reaches of the street attracted the leading Toronto families
of the period, the area to the south was developed by successful, but less prominent residents.
In 1849, Samuel Platt acquired a vacant site on the east side of Jarvis Street, one lot north of
Gerrard Street East. Born in Northern Ireland in 1812, Platt immigrated to Canada in 1827. After
working as a clerk at Enoch Turner's brewery for four years, Platt erected a distillery at
Berkeley and Front Streets. Platt served as a councillor for St. Lawrence Ward from 1845 to 1851,
followed by a two-year stint as an alderman for St. David's Ward in 1853 and 1854. In 1872, Platt
was one of four citizens appointed to the Water Commission, which supervised the construction of
the City's waterworks before disbanding in 1877. As a Conservative candidate, Platt was elected
to represent the federal riding of East Toronto in 1873 and 1878. During the 1870s, Platt also
served as a director of the Consumer' Gas Company. James Austin, president of the gas company,
was Platt's neighbour on Jarvis Street (south of Gerrard) prior to constructing a new house,
Spadina , on the Davenport Hill.
The Platt House was completed in 1850 and occupied by Samuel Platt until his death in 1886. His
widow, Elizabeth Lockett Platt, resided there until 1916 when the property was acquired by Frank
D. Read, a clerk for the Canadian National Railway. The Toronto Baptist Seminary began its
continuing occupancy of the site in 1927. The Samuel Platt House is significant as one of the
oldest remaining buildings on Jarvis Street.
The Samuel Platt House displays features identified with the Neoclassical style, which was
prominent in Ontario residential architecture during the mid 19th century. Incorporating forms
based on Antiquity, the style was inspired by the archaeological finds in 18th century Italy and
the adaptation of Roman motifs in the architectural pattern books of English architect Robert
The Samuel Platt House rises two stories above a stone foundation with a brick base course.
Constructed of brick and trimmed with stone, the building is covered by a low-pitched truncated
hip roof with extended eaves and four end chimneys. The principal (west) facade is symmetrically
organized with three bays. In the lower storey, the central entrance features a flat-headed
opening with a flat multi-paned transom and three-quarter-length sidelights. The Classical porch,
with a gable roof, columns and a name band, is a later addition. On either side of the entrance,
a single three-part flat-headed window opening has a sliding sash window, lintel and corbelled
sill. The windows and doors are decorated with banded Classical pilasters. In the upper floor,
three windows are set in segmental-headed openings with moulded enframements and a continuous
The side walls (north and south) have segmental-headed window openings. On the rear (east) wall,
a large semi-circular window opening is centred above a ground-level entrance with a transom and
sidelights. The other window openings are flat-headed. A two-storey addition is attached to the
northeast corner of the building (this addition is not included in the Reasons for Designation).
Important interior features are the cornice mouldings in the centre hall and two principal rooms
(north and south) on the first floor.
The Samuel Platt House is located on the east side of Jarvis Street, directly north of Gerrard
Street East. On the south, Jarvis Street Baptist Church (1874-1875) occupies the northeast corner
of Jarvis and Gerrard Streets. To the east, Allan Gardens fills most of the block bounded by
Jarvis, Gerrard, Sherbourne and Carlton Streets. North of the Samuel Platt House and beyond the
park, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (1878) stands at the southeast corner of Jarvis and
Carlton Streets. All of the above-noted properties are listed on the City of Toronto Inventory of
On the opposite (west) side of Jarvis Street, between Gerrard and Carlton Streets, the semi-
detached house form buildings at No. 280 (1891), No. 288-290 (1890) and No. 314 (1865) and the
Frontenac Arms Hotel (1930) at No. 300 are also included on the Inventory of Heritage Properties.
The property at 337 Jarvis Street is identified for architectural and historical reasons.
Completed in 1850 for Samuel Platt, a brewer and politician, the former residence is one of the
earliest surviving buildings on Jarvis Street. Located on the east side of Jarvis Street, north
of Gerrard Street East, the Samuel Platt House is distinguished by its Neoclassical design.
Assessment Rolls, City of Toronto. 1849 ff.
City of Toronto Directories. 1850-1851 ff.
Goad's Fire Insurance Atlas. 1894.
History of Toronto and the County of York. Vol. II. C. Blackett Robinson, 1885.
MacRae, Marion, and Anthony Adamson. The Ancestral Roof. Domestic Architecture of Upper Canada.
Clarke Irwin, 1963.
McHugh, Patricia. Toronto Architecture. A City Guide. 2nd ed. McClelland and Stewart, 1989.
Middleton, J. E. The Municipality of Toronto. Vol. II. Dominion Publishing Company, 1923.
Thompson, Austin Seton. Jarvis Street. Personal Library Publishers, 1980.
Kathryn Anderson/October 1996
Short Statement of Reasons for Designation
Samuel Platt House
337 Jarvis Street
The property at 337 Jarvis Street is designated for architectural and historical reasons. The
house was constructed in 1849-1850 for Samuel Platt, a brewer and politician whose family
retained the property until 1916. The Toronto Baptist Seminary has occupied the site since 1927.
The Samuel Platt House is a surviving example of the Neoclassical style. Rising two stories
beneath a truncated hip roof with extended eaves and four end chimneys, the house is constructed
of brick with stone detailing. Important exterior elements are the segmental-headed window
openings on all walls, the entrances with transoms and sidelights on the principal (west) and
rear (east) facades and, on the west wall, the tripartite window openings and Classical detailing
of the window enframements and pilasters. Important interior features are the cornice mouldings
in the centre hall and two principal rooms on the first floor.
Located on the east side of Jarvis Street, north of Gerrard Street East, the Samuel Platt House
is one of the earliest surviving buildings on Jarvis Street. Its age and Classical appearance
reflect the early development of the street as Toronto's most fashionable mid-19th century
SCHEDULE C TO BY-LAW No. 282-1999
Schedule C on file
Please note that council and committee documents are provided electronically for information only and do not retain the exact structure of the original versions. For example, charts, images and tables may be difficult to read. As such, readers should verify information before acting on it. All council documents are available from the City Clerk's office. Please e-mail email@example.com.