In 1873, Toronto architect and surveyor John George Howard and his wife Jemima Frances Meikle gave their home (Colborne Lodge) and its 165 acre grounds (High Park) to the City of Toronto for use as a public park. In 1876 and 1930, the City of Toronto purchased properties to the east and west of the original Howard property, bringing the park to its current size of 399 acres.
Established in the 1890s for deer, the park's animal paddocks have always been a popular attraction. Today the zoo's nine paddocks are home to a variety of animal species from around the world including bison, llamas, peacocks, deer, highland cattle and sheep. Over 100,000 visitors come to the zoo every year.
On foot or by bicycle: The park's main entrances are on Bloor Street (to the north) and Queensway Avenue (to the south). There are also numerous entrances along the eastern boundary of the park on Parkside Drive.
Subway: Get off at High Park station on the Bloor-Danforth line, walk south and cross Bloor Street to get to the park's north entrance.
Streetcar: From the 506 Carlton streetcar, get off at the High Park loop by Parkside Drive. From the 508 Lakeshore streetcar, get off at Parkside or Colborne Lodge and walk north into the park.
Bus: The 80 Queensway bus travels between Keele subway station and Sherway Gardens. Get off at Howard Park Avenue and walk west into the park.
By car: The park is located between Bloor Street to the north, Queensway Avenue to the south and is bordered by Parkside Drive on the east. Entrances through which you can access the entire park by car are located on Bloor Street (head south on High Park Avenue) and Parkside Drive (head west on High Park Blvd).
There is ample parking in High Park, with a large parking lot located in front of the zoo entrance. High Park Map
To support the ongoing operation of High Park Zoo, you can donate through the Toronto Parks and Trees Foundation. All donations over $10 receive a charitable tax receipt.