Humber Bay Shores Park – Trail Improvements
- Phase One: design and construction are complete
- Phase Two: design is complete and being tendered for construction in spring 2019
Notification of Phase Two works will be provided before construction starts. Construction and detour signs will be posted in the park and along the trail. When construction is started, project updates will be posted on this web page and will also be available by calling 311.
Phase One is completed and included two areas.
Trail Improvements at the terminus of Palace Pier Court including:
- New multi-use trail and new pedestrian pathway and plaza areas
- New benches and seating with clear views to Lake Ontario and City skyline
- New planting and trees to frame the new trail and plaza spaces
Humber Bay Park: East Entrance
Trail Improvements near the Humber Bay Park East entrance including:
- Paving upgrades to the intersection near the Humber Bay Park entrance
- An improved multi-use trail and the addition of a new pedestrian path to increase trail width
- Grading and intersection improvements along the trail
- New planting areas and trees to help define the edges and direct circulation
Phase Two improvements will begin in spring 2019 and will include:
- Realignment and re-grading of pathways to improve safety and address trail use
- Improved asphalt multi-use trail
- Improved paved buffer zone between the multi-use trail and new pedestrian trail
- New pedestrian-only pathway
- New bench seating, seat walls small plaza areas and plantings at key trail intersections
- Regulatory signage and pavement markings
These improvements will extend between the areas that were completed in Phase One.
The public information event presented the preferred design to more than 40 residents that attended. Details of the preferred design are included in the Display Panels.
The public consultation event showcased two proposed alternatives for upgrades of the trail system; Options A and B as well as on-street cycling infrastructure upgrades along Marine Parade Drive and Waterfront Drive. Important improvements to the trail included safety and sight lines, changes to trail width and alignment, changes in trail materials, improvements to seating and views to the lake as well as an evaluation of existing lighting. Over 85 residents and local association representatives participated
Display panels from the event:
Summary of the public event and feedback provided:
Staff presented information materials about three projects:
- Humber Bay Shores Park
- Stanley Ave. Contra-flow Bicycle Lane
- Waterfront Trail Connection on Lake Shore Blvd. W.
Over 70 participants attended the event, asked questions, discussed opinions and provided many insightful comments and suggestions. Below are the information materials from the event.
- Humber Bay Shores Park: Trails Existing Conditions – Display Panels
- Humber Bay Shores Park: On-street Cycling Connections (Marine Parade Dr. & Waterfront Dr.) – Display Panels
- Stanley Ave. Contra-flow Bicycle Lane and Waterfront Trail Connection on Lake Shore Blvd. W.
Summary of the comments received:
Other Trail Improvements in the Area
Other Trail Improvements are also being completed through Mimico Linear Park and at the north entrance into Humber Bay Park West. The contract for this work is awarded and scheduled to begin in fall 2018. Signage is currently posted on site to notify park and trail users of upcoming works, areas that will be impacted and detour routing.
Intermittent trail closures are anticipated to complete these works.