Finder Tool IconGet a personalized list of available benefits, including help with child care, employment, housing and living expenses.

Service & Benefit Finder


If you have a support worker, they may be able to find support for your home; or you can contact a Housing Help Centre directly.

You may qualify for the Property Tax and Water Relief Programs if you are a low income senior or a low-income person with a disability

Tax and Water Relief applicants can only submit applications for their principal residence. In order to verify, the City requires that applicants provide an un-altered copy of their Notice of Assessment (NOA) to establish eligibility for the City’s Tax and Water Relief Programs.

High utility bills may put low income homeowners and tenants at risk. The programs listed below may be able to provide financial help. For more details on eligibility and applying contact the program directly.

Toronto Renovates Homeowners Program

Due to high volumes and pending confirmation from the Province of Ontario on Toronto Renovates funding allocation for the April 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020 period, the Toronto Renovates Homeowners Program has temporarily suspended acceptance of assessment requests commencing Thursday January 24, 2019. Assessment requests submitted after this date will not be accepted.

The Toronto Renovates Homeowners Program offers federal/provincial funding for lower-income seniors and people with a disability who wish to make health or safety repairs or accessibility modifications to their homes.

To find out if you are eligible for the Toronto Renovates Homeowners Program, please refer to the Eligibility Criteria below and then fill out and return an Assessment Request Form. You can mail the form or fax it to 416-397-9155.

View a brochure listing other sources of potential funding for home repairs.

Home Energy Conservation Costs

People on Ontario Works may receive a one-time payment of up to $50 to reimburse the cost of items such as:

  • caulking
  • sealing or weather-stripping for doors and windows
  • insulation for hot water pipes and hot water tanks, and
  • flow restrictors for shower heads.

How to Apply

This benefit is for people who are receiving Ontario Works Assistance. To apply for this one-time payment, please speak to your Ontario Works caseworker. You will need to provide proof that you pay for the specific utility and provide receipts for the energy conservation item(s). This benefit is only paid as a reimbursement.

Who Can Apply

To be eligible, you must receive Ontario Works and:

  • be responsible for paying the bill for the specific utility
  • not pay for these costs as part of your monthly rent, and
  • provide receipts for the purchase of items that will help conserve the utilities you pay for (such as fuel, water, or electricity)

Home Safety Costs

Homeowners receiving Ontario Works Assistance may receive a one-time payment to buy smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors.

The following costs can be reimbursed:

  • up to $25 per family for a smoke alarm/smoke detector
  • up to $50 per family for a carbon monoxide detector.

How to Apply

To apply please speak to your caseworker. You will need to provide receipts for the safety item(s). This benefit is only paid as a reimbursement.

Who Can Apply

To be eligible, you must receive Ontario Works, own your home and provide receipts for these items. (Landlords are responsible for providing smoke alarms/smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors for their rental units)