Revised: Nov. 2016
Moxifloxacin (also called Avelox) is an antibiotic medicine. It is used to cure tuberculosis in combination with other medicines
The TB germs are very strong and are hard to get rid of. You will need to take this medicine for 6 to 12 months in order to kill the TB bacteria. Your doctor will decide how many months you will need to take the medicine.
Taking the Medication
- Take this medicine as directed by your doctor.
- Even if you start to feel better, it is important to keep taking this medicine until the doctor tells you to stop.
- This medicine may be taken with or without food.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Swallow the pill whole. Do not crush or chew the pill.
Possible Side Effects
- Nausea, vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Tiredness, weakness
- Yellow skin or eyes
- Loss of appetite
- Headache, dizziness
- Irregular heart beat
- Rash, hives
- Swelling of face or lips
- Muscle or joint pain
- Tendon rupture (rare)
- Diarrhea (3 or more watery stools per day)
* If you have any of these side effects speak with your doctor immediately. If you are unable to reach your doctor, stop taking the medicine until you do speak with your doctor.
- Moxifloxacin may cause dizziness. When you start taking this medicine be careful when driving or operating machines.
- If you are diabetic, check your blood sugar levels regularly.
- Avoid too much sunlight or artificial UV light (tanning beds). It is easy to get a sunburn while you are taking Moxifloxacin
- Do not drink alcohol. Drinking alcohol can increase the chance of liver problems while you are taking Moxifloxacin.
- Avoid hard physical activity. Although not common, this medicine can make it easier to get tendon injuries.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding talk to your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Do not take dairy products, antacids or vitamins containing iron, magnesium, calcium or zinc, within 2 hours before or after taking this medicine.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time to take your next dose, do not take the missed dose. Do not take 2 doses at the same time.
- Store this medicine at room temperature in a cool, dry place.
Do not put it in the refrigerator.
This information is also available in the following languages. To request a copy, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-338-7600 and ask for the TB program.
አማርኛ / Amheric
العربية / Arabic
বাংলা / Bengali
中文 / Chinese
فارسی / Farsi
Tagalog / Filipino
Français / French
ગુજરાતી / Gujarati
हिन्दी / Hindi
Magyar nyelv / Hungarian
한국어 / Korean
پښتو / Pashto
ਪੰਜਾਬੀ / Punjabi
русский / Russian
Afsoomaali / Somali
Español / Spanish
தமிழ் / Tamil
བོད་སྐད་ / Tibetan
اردو / Urdu
Tiếng Việt / Vietnamese