How to Prepare an Insect Sample for Bed Bug Identification
If you are unsure if your pest is a bed bug you can take a sample to Toronto Public Health where staff can assist you with identification.
- Does the insect in question resemble any of the stages within the lifecycle of bed bugs?
- Are you seeing blood spots on your bedding?
- Are you experiencing bites at night?
Call 416-338-7600 to book an appointment. If we are unable to identify the pest, you may wish to contact an entomologist or diagnostic lab to assist you.
Preparing Your Insect Sample:
Please do not bring in live insects.
- Collect the insect in question (adults are the easiest to identify).
- Do not squish the insect as this makes identification more difficult if not impossible.
- Do not tape the insect as it is easier to handle the insect if it is not taped.
- Put insect(s) in a clear watertight container (e.g. baby food jar) with 70% rubbing alcohol to kill and preserve the insect.
Where to Take Your Sample:
- North York Civic Centre
5100 Yonge St., 2nd Floor
- 44 Victoria St., 18th Floor
- 175 Memorial Park Avenue
- 1530 Markham Rd., 5th Floor
- Etobicoke Civic Centre
399 The West Mall, 4th Floor North