Eight Steps to Pass BodySafe Inspections
1. Ensure Service Worker Hand Hygiene and Safety
- Provide a sink with hot and cold running water, soap in a dispenser, single-use towels.
- Provide 70% alcohol-based hand sanitizer that can be used if hands are not visibly dirty. If visibly dirty, employees must wash hands with soap and water.
- Perform hand hygiene after each client.
- Discard all sharps into an approved sharps container. Do not discard the sharps container with municipal garbage.
- Do not provide service to clients with a rash, fungus or any open wound.
2. Clean and Disinfect Reusable Items Properly
- Clean items with soap and water before they are disinfected.
- Disinfect items with the right level of disinfectant and for the correct contact time.
- Clean and disinfect items between clients.
- If your footbath has a screen, remove the screen for proper cleaning and disinfection. Remove the screen at the end of each day for footbaths with pipes and between clients for pipeless footbaths.
- Launder or discard linen between clients.
3. Dispense and Store Items in a Sanitary Manner
- Dispense products in a sanitary manner – do not double dip!
- Store items in a sanitary manner.
4. Use Items On One Client Only
- Single-use non-invasive items must only be used on one client.
- Single person use items must be cleaned and then disinfected with a high-level disinfectant before and after each use.
- Discard disposable cartridges and parts for ear piercing devices, after each client.
- Discard single-use plastic wrap between clients.
5. Keep Items in Good Repair and Keep the Work Environment Clean and Tidy
- Do not use any item that is rusted, broken or ripped.
- Work areas should have a smooth non-porous surface and should be well lit.
- For invasive procedures, clean and disinfect work surface areas between clients. Use a low-level disinfectant.
- For all other procedures, clean and disinfect work surface areas between clients and at the end of each day. Use a low-level disinfectant.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces contaminated with blood or body fluids with gloved hands, right away. Use a high-level disinfectant.
6. Maintain Records On Site For One Year and On File for Five Years
- Any blood or body fluid exposure.
- Any item that is purchased as pre-packaged and sterile.
- Every autoclave cycle.
- Every client that receives an invasive procedure.
- All spore test results.
7. Follow All Invasive Procedure Requirements
- Clean and then sterilize all critical items or use purchased sterile pre-packaged and single-use items.
- Wear gloves and change them between clients and as needed.
- Every autoclave cycle.
- Use an appropriate antiseptic on a client’s skin before an invasive procedure.
- Provide clients with written and verbal aftercare information for piercing, tattooing and micropigmentation.
8. Follow All Autoclave Requirements
- Clean all items that are to be sterilized first. If an ultrasonic cleaner is used, it must be operated with the lid, cleaned and then disinfected daily. The solution must be changed daily.
- The autoclave must be approved for use on packaged items.
- Handle all sterilized items dry and maintain sterility until point of use.
- Test all autoclaves used in the business once every two weeks with a spore challenge. If the autoclave fails a spore test (comes back positive), report the failure to Toronto Public Health right away.
- Following a failed spore test, use only items sterilized when the autoclave had passed the spore test OR use purchased sterile, pre-packaged and single-use items. The autoclave must pass 3 consecutive tests before it can be used again.
- Use temperature indicators on all packaged items. These indicators must change colour after going through the autoclave. If it does not change colour, do not use the item. Run it through the autoclave again.
Print Version of This Information Available Upon Request in Multiple Languages
For a copy of this document in the following languages, please email us at BodySafe@toronto.ca
中文 / Simplified Chinese
中文 / Traditional Chinese
Italiano / Italian
한국어 / Korean
Português / Portuguese
Русский / Russian
Español / Spanish
தமிழ் / Tamil
Tiếng Việt / Vietnamese