Licensing: Personal Services Settings
Municipal Code Chapter 545, Licensing
Revisions to the Licensing By-Law
As of July 1, 2015, under the revised Municipal Code 545, Licensing By-Law (PDF), all establishments offering the following, will be required to get a PSS licence and post their inspection notices at or near the entrance of the business, so that it is clearly visible to the public:
- ear piercing
- body piercing
- aesthetics (facials or waxing)
Requirements for Personal Services Setting (PSS) Establishments
- Pass an inspection by Toronto Public Health
- NOTE: An inspection is required before a PSS licence is issued only for new premises and premises that offer tattooing, micropigmentation, ear and body piercing and electrolysis services.
- Obtain PSS licence from the City of Toronto Municipal Licensing & Standards (ML&S) division.
- Post the inspection notice sign (BodySafe sign) provided by Toronto Public Health:
- in a place clearly visible to members of the public
- at or near the entrance to the establishment
- NOTE: The signs resemble those posted at restaurants in Toronto under the DineSafe program and shows the results of the most recent inspection (Pass, Conditional Pass, or Closed).
- Keep a copy of the most recent inspection report on-site at all times. The public can request to see this report at any time.
- Notify ML&S in advance of any changes to the types of personal services that are offered to clients so that they are included on the licence.
Additional Licensing Requirements
The Municipal Code Chapter 545, Licensing (PDF) outlines additional requirements pertaining to:
- service provider qualification
- infection prevention & control minimum standards