Scarborough Heights Park is a park with a large community garden on the west side. The park offers a large, fenced, dogs-off-leash area adjacent to the pumping station at Fishleigh Drive. Views of the lake are harder to see through the dense vegetation that grows along the bluff in this area.
This park is part of Scarborough Bluffs.
Important: At the west edge of this park is a service road that connects to Fishleigh Drive. This road can be used as a pathway to the shoreline trails. Otherwise there is no access to the water at this park. Stay behind fences and obey no trespassing signs as the bluffs are unstable.
Access the water from Bluffer's Park, Sylvan Park, Guild Park and Gardens, or East Point Park.
The magnificent view of the bluffs from Scarborough Heights Park is the reason this significant geological feature is called the Scarborough Bluffs. When Elizabeth Simcoe, the wife of Upper Canada's first Lieutenant-Governor, saw the beautifully carved sandstone cliffs in 1793, she considered building a summer residence on top and naming it Scarborough for the Yorkshire town of Scarborough, in England, that is also known for its cliffs. In the same year, Lieutenant-Governor Simcoe renamed the township Scarborough, as tribute to the Duke of York. When the township was originally surveyed in 1791 by Augustus Jones, it was called Glasgow.
In 1920, the Scarborough Water Works System was constructed here. As Scarborough grew in population, the capacity of the filtration plant and pumping station were expanded; by 1952, the filtration plant processed 14.0 million gallons of water per day. Today, only the pumping station and the reservoir are still in use.
In May 1960, the Borough of Scarborough transferred its Scarborough Bluff holdings to the Metropolitan Toronto and Region Conservation Authority. Various parcels of land were combined as part of the Waterfront Plan, a program designed to promote public ownership along the bluffs as a means of curtailing further erosion.