Air conditioning (maximum temperatures)

Air Conditioning should go on, if provided/supplied by the property owner, from June 2nd to Sept. 14th to maintain an indoor temperature of not more than 26 degrees Celsius. Municipal Licensing & Standards is unable to take any action outside of these dates.

If an air conditioner is broken, a landlord is required to either fix it or replace it. There is no requirement for a landlord to install an air conditioner. For issues regarding requests from the landlord to the tenant to remove an a/c unit, the tenant should check the lease agreement to see if any restrictions exist. This issue doesn't fall under the Property Standards bylaw.

If you have concerns about air conditioning in your rental unit, please speak to your landlord, superintendent, property manager, and/or the proper owner in writing. You should make your request in writing to the landlord by completing a work order or a Standard Maintenance Request.

No building permit is required to install a window air conditioner in a rental unit or privately owned home, but tenants should consult their lease agreement to determine if they are permitted in their units.

Note: If the issue is not addressed within a reasonable amount of time, you can submit a service request online at

Commercial properties are not covered under municipal regulations. Refer to the Ministry of Labour for heat complaints in commercial properties. The bylaw ONLY applies to residential properties.

Bylaw information

Chapter 629 - 38 Heating and air conditioning (full details are available on the City of Toronto website: )

A. Every heating and air-conditioning system or unit shall be kept in good repair and maintained in good working condition at all times relevant to the operation of that system.

G. All air conditioners and other water-cooled equipment shall be equipped with proper devices for the prevention of condensation drainage or discharge onto sidewalks, walkways, driveways, and entrance areas, or other areas used for pedestrian or vehicular traffic.

H. The devices provided under Subsection G shall be configured so as not to cause damage to the walls or foundations or other parts of a building.


If the condo unit is owner occupied Municipal Licensing & Standards (ML&S) will NOT investigate a complaint about the condition of that unit.

If you are a tenant in a condo unit, contact the condo unit owner. If the situation is not resolved within a reasonable period of time you can submit a service request online at

If you are a condominium unit owner and the building has not turned on the air conditioning or if the air conditioning is on and is above 26 degrees Celsius, ML&S will not investigate, contact your condo board and/or property manager.