Recruitment is currently closed. Please check back later this year.
Toronto Paramedic Services is now accepting applications for part-time Primary Care Paramedics Experienced provider (Paramedic Level 1).
Information about applying at the City of Toronto
Please do not email or mail resumes or applications directly to Toronto Paramedic Services.
Applicants are responsible for the safe and timely arrival of their documentation, and may be removed from the process at any stage for noted deficiencies in requested documentation. All applications and resumes are kept on file for a period of six months. Committed to employment equity, The City of Toronto encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, racial minorities and women.
You must submit an application with the City of Toronto to be eligible for employment and to receive an invitation link for recruitment evaluation(s).
For more information, please refer to the Toronto Paramedic Services Recruitment Guide 2021.
All noted dates and assessments are subject to change at the discretion of Toronto Paramedic Services.
Please refer to the recruitment process stages below.
Major responsibilities of a Primary Care Paramedic (Level 1):
- Drives and/or provides medical care in an ambulance or other divisional vehicles for the transportation and care of sick, injured and convalescent patients, including those with infectious diseases, to and from hospitals or other destinations as directed.
- Provides casualty care according to the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC) BLS Patient Care Standards for all patients encountered, under the direction of or by standing orders from a Base Hospital physician or direction from a Level 2 or Level 3 Paramedic.
- Performs patient care functions according to the Basic and Advanced Life Support Patient Care Standards, Divisional Standard Operating Procedures and Base Hospital Medical Directives. Basic and Advanced Life Support procedures may be changed as medical standards evolve.
- Responds to the patient with the appropriate equipment based on good judgment, available information and Divisional policies and procedures.
- Monitors, observes and records changes in patient’s condition and carries out treatment as directed.
- Transfers patient from vehicle to treatment centre, and assists in transfer of patient from stretcher to examining table, cot, stretcher, bed, etc., at a treatment centre, etc. and transfers back to vehicle, etc., where necessary.
- Reports by radio or telephone to dispatch centre concerning patient status and preparation for return to station, etc.
- Ensures that proper inventory checks of supplies and equipment are performed according to Standard Operating Policies and Procedures, and makes adjustments as required, reporting any errors or omissions.
- Ensures ambulance exterior, interior, medical equipment and supplies are clean and serviceable.
- Promptly provides incident reports, accident and other related reports and forms, to the superintendent for review.
- Prepares stretchers and equipment for service and reports to dispatch when available for next assignment.
- Completes all documentation as required as per MOHLTC ALS/BLS Patient Care Standards, Ontario Ambulance Documentation Standards, and/or Toronto Paramedic Services’ Standard Operating Policies and Procedures.
- Completes any and all documentation as requested by Toronto Paramedic Services management
- Inspects ambulance and completes required related documentation.
- Carries out housekeeping duties at a station and those duties that may be assigned in the course of providing ambulance services. Ensures access areas to station are clean.
- Participates in research studies as required.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
- Successfully completed a MOHLTC-recognized course for Primary Care Paramedic provided by a College of Applied Arts and Technology or equivalent.
- Successfully completed the Advanced Emergency Medical Care Assistant (AEMCA) examination or be AEMCA pending as specified in the Ontario Ambulance Act.
- Must be able to achieve and maintain current certification in Symptom Relief and Defibrillation under the Ontario Base Hospital Group and meet cross-certification requirements with Sunnybrook Base Hospital.
- Must produce proof of mandatory immunization and maintain all immunizations as required and specified by the Ontario Ambulance Act.
- Must possess a Class F Ontario driver’s licence, or better, and meet all requirements for licence maintenance as set forth in the City of Toronto’s Fleet policy and be able to qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits.
- Must not be convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude for which a pardon has not been granted.
- Must meet all requirements for employment as a Paramedic in Ontario as per the Ambulance Act.
- Must not have had driver’s licence suspended for two years prior to application, and not have more than three demerit points issued against his/her Ontario driver’s licence.
- Ability to pass oral, written and physical examinations pertaining to procedures used in emergency patient care as set by the Division.
- Thoroughly familiar with the Highway Traffic Act and Municipal Traffic By-laws.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties.
- Must be available to work rotating shift/weekend/night/overtime/on call duty in all environmental conditions.
- Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
- Proficiency in a second language, would be an asset.
- Relevant work experience (i.e. paramedic, RN, MD, military, policing, any medical field), would be an asset.
- Relevant volunteer experience (i.e. crisis, community involvement, mental health, shelters, etc.), would be an asset.
Stage 1: Interviews
October 4th to 6th, 2021 – Virtual
Duration: Approximately 1 hour.
Multiple Mini Interview format.
Required documents to be submitted: Refer to Recruitment Guide
Business casual attire recommended.
Stage 2: Driving Evaluation
Starting October 12, 2021 at 350 Wilson Heights Blvd. Toronto.
Duration: Approximately 3 hours
Required documents to be submitted: Refer to Recruitment Guide
This is outdoors. Dress for the conditions. Uniform and safety shoes/boots required.
Offer of conditional employment and Sunnybrook Base Hospital Certification
Candidates who are offered conditional employment following STAGE 2 will be required to cross certify or successfully complete a 2-day orientation and evaluation (or equivalency) with the Sunnybrook Centre for Prehospital Medicine. Additional administrative dates will occur during this time.
Conditional employment offers are expected to occur as early as the week of October 25, 2021. Toronto Paramedic Services anticipates an onboarding session starting November 8, 2021.
Sunnybrook Regional Base Hospital evaluation – TBD all sessions
Sunnybrook Centre for Prehospital Medicine – 77 Brown’s Line, Toronto.