Skip to main
City of Toronto - Online Information and Services

Bylaw enforcement - noise complaints

Back to Search

If you wish to file a complaint about construction noise that is in contravention of the noise bylaw, you can submit a service request online at, or call 311.

If you wish to file a complaint about other types of noise in contravention of the noise bylaw, please call 311 to submit a service request.

In order to investigate any complaint, it is helpful if Municipal Licensing & Standards (ML&S) has the actual street address that the noise is coming from (point of reception). The City may then send the occupants of the property/the owner a Notice advising them that neighbours are being disturbed by their actions and of the possibility for further action through court action if the disturbance does not cease.

Once a Notice of Violation has been issued, or for the purposes of complaint qualification, it may be necessary for the complainant and any other inhabitant who is being disturbed to complete a noise log.

Noise caused by people due to gatherings, parties, disputes, yelling, screaming... and the disturbances generated by them, are best dealt with by the police at the time they are occurring.

For noise complaints in City parks see: Bylaw enforcement - in a City park

Toronto Municipal Code Chapter 591 - Noise

The Noise bylaw has the following sections within the Chapter:

  • General prohibitions
  • Specific prohibitions: loudspeakers and other amplified sound, construction
  • Specific prohibitions (point of reception): vehicle noises
  • Prohibitions by time and place
  • General limitation on sound levels due to stationary sources:
  • Limitation on sound levels for residential air conditioners
  • Disturbing religious ceremony in a place of worship
  • Exemption: public safety and highways
  • Railway whistles

City website information on noise standards

After Hours noise complaints
At this time ML&S officers do not work at night/shifts. However, in some instances (when warranted as part of an investigation) an ML&S officer will make arrangements to conduct an inspection during the evening/early morning/weekends. These arrangements are generally made after direct contact with the complainant and/or submission of noise logs.

Some of the more common types of noise that may require follow-up by the ML&S officer includes construction during prohibited times, mechanical source of noise (involving noise readings) and disturbances caused by entertainment establishments/other businesses.

  1. Excessive Noise
  2. Air Conditioners
  3. Apartments - Rental Units
  4. Car Alarms
  5. General Construction
  6. Garbage & delivery trucks
  7. Snow clearing equipment
  8. Powered devices - leaf blowers - lawn mowers
  9. Loud Music
  10. Entertainment district - Yonge-Dundas Square
  11. Zones
  12. Vehicle - motorcycle noise

Statutory Holidays exist on the federal level, celebrated in every province and territory. Statutory holidays as it relates to noise complaints are as follows:

  • New Year's Day
  • Good Friday
  • Canada Day
  • Labour Day
  • Christmas Day

For more information about the bylaws enforced by Municipal Licensing & Standards, visit the City of Toronto website.