The mission of the Toronto Public Service and its almost 36,000 members is to serve a great city and its people. The Toronto Public Service fosters a corporate culture that sets the highest standard of integrity, professionalism and ethical behaviour.
A Charter of Expectations promotes standards among public servants and informs the public about what they can expect from public employees. Members of the Toronto Public Service will:
- act with integrity
- apply judgment and discretion
- serve the public well
- serve Council well
- serve the public service well
- maintain political neutrality
- use City property, services and resources responsibly
Toronto is Canada's largest city and sixth largest government, and home to a diverse population of about 2.7 million people. Toronto's government is dedicated to delivering customer service excellence, creating a transparent and accountable government, reducing the size and cost of government and building a transportation city.
The Toronto Public Service operates within a values framework of service, stewardship and commitment:
We serve individuals, communities and the city as a whole; as well we service City Council in fulfilling its mandate. We do this by:
- Planning for improvement
- Doing the right things at fair cost
- Adapting and innovating to meet changing needs
- Balancing and protecting the needs of individuals and communities
- We use resources wisely to maintain and create a livable city for future generations
- We balance the economic, social and environmental needs of the city
- We serve the public with skill, knowledge and respect
- We are responsible and accountable
- We value each other
Toronto Public Service
A cross-divisional sampling of employees demonstrate how important their role is in serving this great city. Their stories indicate that they have a clear understanding of the City's mission, values and ethics.
HR Policies and Guidelines