Please Don't Feed the Birds
The City of Toronto is working to improve beach water quality and our waterfront parks. You can help! Please don't feed the birds (ducks, geese, gulls and swans).
- Bird poop can be a potential health hazard.
- Feeding can attract many birds resulting in excessive bird poop in the grass, sand and water.
- Excessive bird poop is bad for water quality and contributes to our beaches being closed for swimming.
- Birds that are fed food scraps lose their fear of humans and can become aggressive.
- Birds that eat bread or scraps do not get all of the nutrients found in their natural diet. They may be less healthy and become dependent on people.
- Most birds naturally fly south in the winter to find other sources of food. If you feed them, they may stay here longer and rely on human food to survive.
Please dispose of food scraps in waste containers!
Last updated July 2011