Notice: The Licence & Permit Issuing Office at the East York Civic Centre is open by appointment only.  Appointments can be booked between 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

Businesses can apply for new licences online or you must book an in-person appointment prior to attending. New taxicab, limousine and tow truck applications need to be submitted online and cannot be submitted in-person.

Visit and search for your licence category for more information or to book appointments.

Existing licensees can only renew their licences via the Business Licences & Permits Renewal form. Both licence application and renewal fees can be paid online.

Business licences set to expire in 2021 will be cancelled for non-payment after 150 days, and will not be subject to late fees.

For questions, please contact

Toronto Licensing Tribunal is conducting e-hearings to deal with business licensing matters. 

The Municipal Licensing & Standards Division issues licenses and permits for businesses and trades in accordance with City of Toronto Municipal Codes.

Applying for a licence
Prior to submitting a business licence application to Municipal Licensing & Standards some businesses require a Preliminary Project Review (PPR) to ensure the proposed business complies with zoning bylaws. 

Businesses that require a Preliminary Project Review  (PPR) before a business licence application can be accepted:

  • Billiard halls
  • Commercial parking lots
  • Places of amusement (e.g. go karts, mini golf)
  • Public garage (e.g. gas station, vehicle repair or rental)
  • Restaurants
  • Holistic centre
  • Body rub parlour
  • Entertainment establishment and nightclub
  • Adult entertainment club

Once you are ready to apply for a licence, you must apply in-person to the Municipal Licensing & Standards, Licensing & Regulatory Services Office.

Your business is not considered licensed until the licence is issued, therefore you are not to operate the business until the licence is issued.

Licenses are valid for one year from the date they have been issued. The expiration date for a licence is on the anniversary of the date on which the licence was first issued. The issue date and expiration date for the licence can be found on the right hand corner of the licence.

Licenses are not transferable from person to person or location to location. You cannot advertise or carry on any business under any name other than the one used on the licence.  If a business moves from one location to another, a new license application is required for the new location.

Changes to a licence
If you want to make changes to an issued licence, contact Municipal Licensing & Standards office via telephone or email.

Some examples of stationary businesses are:

  • adult entertainment club (licenses are required for adult entertainment club/entertainer (dancer)
  • arcades and paid to play places of amusement
  • billiard halls
  • grocery variety and other retail food stores
  • movie theatres and public halls
  • coin-operated laundries
  • commercial parking lots
  • businesses that provide personal services (hair salon, nail shop, tattoo shops)
  • body rub parlours and attendants
  • carnivals and circuses
  • pet shops
  • public garages and gas stations
  • car wash
  • automobile body repairs
  • second hand shops
  • sign painters
  • pawnbrokers and old gold dealers
  • holistic practitioners

Trades and other professions

  • plumbing/heating
  • auctioneers
  • building renovators
  • drain contractors
  • insulation installers
  • scrap collectors
  • buskers & sidewalk performers

Additional information on a list of businesses and trades that need a license and fees involved can be found on the City of Toronto website.

Renewals of licenses
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.

Existing licensees can renew their licences on the Business Licences & Permits website and complete payment online. There will be no late fees for 2021 licence renewal payments and licensees will have 150 days past expiry to pay their 2021 renewal fee.

Renewal fees can also be paid online, visit the City of Toronto website.

Lost/Stolen, destroyed, or not received licenses, receipts, picture cards, licence stickers, paper licenses, metal plates or decal plates
The licensee must attend the Business Licensing and Regulatory Services office in order to get a replacement licence.

Clients must bring a government issued photo ID (health cards not accepted) and will be required to sign an affidavit declaring that their licence has been lost,  destroyed or not received. In some instances, a police report may also be required.

There is a cost for replacing a lost business licence.

When an application is taken, an application & a licence fee must be paid. Application fees are non-refundable and there are no exceptions. In some cases, the licence fee may be refunded (minus an administration fee).

Criminal Record
Individuals with a criminal record can file an application for a license, however, approval will be subject to the review of the file relative to Toronto Municipal Code, Chapter 545, Screening Criteria and Toronto Municipal Code, Chapter 545 4 - C.

Related information: