Definition: Amplified Sound is sound made by any electronic device or a group of connected electronic devices incorporating one or more loudspeakers or other electro mechanical transducers, and intended for the production, reproduction or amplification of sound.

Amplified sound is generally sound coming from a loudspeaker that amplifies music, voices or other sounds.  This can include sounds from night clubs, bars, restaurants, cafes, patios or concerts:

  • The Bylaw has limits for amplified sound levels, which are measured at the point the sound is heard (also known as the point of reception)
  • Bylaw Enforcement Officers measure the sound levels of the amplified sounds from outside or inside your property as well as the background noise with the amplified sounds off
  • The Officers will then determine whether the sound levels are in compliance with the regulations
  • There are lower sound level limits within an indoor living area and at night.  For more information refer to the bylaw Section (591-2.1).

More details can be found by viewing Toronto Municipal Code, Chapter 591, Noise.   

If you have a concern, consider speaking with those responsible for making the noise to give them an opportunity to correct the issue. If this approach does not work, contact 311 to submit a service request.

Note: Municipal Licensing and Standards Division does not respond to noise complaints regarding demonstrations, party boats, motor vehicles operating on the roadway, noisy parties or noise from people acting disorderly, such as yelling, screaming and fighting. To report these types of noise, call the Toronto Police Service non-emergency number . For emergencies, call 9-1-1.

Government work and noise due to safety measures are exempt from the Noise Bylaw. Government work includes construction, rehabilitation or maintenance work conducted by the City, Province of Ontario, Government of Canada and any of its agencies or agents, including the operation of motor vehicles and equipment actually engaged in the work. Safety measures include bells or sirens operated by police, fire, paramedic services and bells or whistles operated by rail or transit services. This also includes other emergency measures as outlined in the bylaw (591-3.1).

For more information, visit the  Noise webpage.

Amplified noise in a City park

Unless granted a permit, one should not operate loud speakers or amplifying equipment from any source in a park. This includes special events that feature amplified sound, such as concerts or the use of loud speakers.

Learn more about the noise exemption process.

Related information: