Applications are currently closed as funding for this program has been expended. If additional funding becomes available, new applications will be accepted. Subscribe to the BusinessTO newsletter
to stay informed of business resources and supports.
Program Overview and Objective
Small retail businesses are the heart of Toronto’s main streets, employ thousands of residents, and are a key driver of the city’s prosperity.
This program provides access to retail training, advisory services and mentoring opportunities. In addition, it offers a micro grant valued at $10,000 to help retail businesses develop and expand. This program is funded by the Government of Canada through the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario.
This program offers a $10,000 micro grant to help retail businesses develop and expand.
The Retail Accelerator Program is available to owners of retail businesses within the City of Toronto.
The following types of independent business ventures are eligible to participate:
- Sole proprietorship or corporation where the applicant is the majority shareholder; or
- Partnership where the applicant holds the majority share; if shared 50/50 only one partner may apply
The following types of businesses are not eligible to apply for or participate in the Retail Accelerator Program:
- Franchises, commissioned sales and distributorships
- Online e-commerce retail operations (must have a physical location)
- Mobile retail operations of any kind
- Not-for-profits, social enterprises, co-operatives or charitable enterprises
- Multi-level marketing ventures
- Single events, musical bands, DJs or party event organizations
Applicant must meet the following to be eligible for consideration for the Retail Accelerator Program:
- 18 years of age or older
- Operate an independent retail business in the City of Toronto
- Be full time self-employed and be the majority owner in the business
- Have a current lease agreement or ownership documentation for the retail location
- Maintain a separate business bank account, following government rules and regulations for operating a business
- Prepared to commit to the business training components of the program
- Prepared to provide proof of expenses as requested by City of Toronto
- Prepared to complete a survey at the end of the program
How to Apply
Applications are currently closed.
Subscribe to the Business TO newsletter to stay informed of business resources and supports.
For more information about the Retail Accelerator Program, please contact Fariba Niroui at 416-392-1328 or Fariba.Niroui@toronto.ca.