For more information about the Line 2 East Extension, please visit the Metrolinx Scarborough Subway Extension
Current Project Status
Project planning and design is being led by Metrolinx and is currently underway.
The City and TTC undertook an assessment of the proposed project. The assessment was included in EX9.1 Toronto-Ontario Transit Update, a report to City Council in October 2019. Read the Assessment of Line 2 East Extension.
In April 2019, a three-stop extension of Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth Subway) to Scarborough Centre and Sheppard Avenue East was announced as part of the 2019 Provincial Budget. The project has been identified as the sole responsibility of Metrolinx in the Getting Ontario Moving Act (Bill 107) and O. Reg. 248/19. According to the 2019 Provincial Budget, this project has an in-service date of 2029-2030.
Once complete, this project will be operated by the TTC as a seamless extension to the existing TTC Line 2 Subway.
The City and TTC will be working with Metrolinx so that the following key expectations of this project are met:
- Providing fully integrated future service with Line 2, including through-service at Kennedy Station.
- Protecting for the normalization of the Progress Avenue and McCowan Road intersection.
- Not precluding an easterly extension of Line 5 Eglinton (Eglinton East LRT).
- Demonstrating consistency with the City’s planning framework, including locating stations in areas where the Official Plan directs population and employment growth, with land use designations in the station area that support the development of this growth, benefiting the natural and cultural heritage environments, improving the public realm, achieving architectural and urban design excellence, and being resilient to climate change.
- Providing convenient and safe passenger movement with connecting bus and streetcar routes, while integrating facilities identified by TTC to deliver effective and flexible transit service.