The registration period for a third party advertiser for the 2022 municipal election is from May 2 to October 21, 2022.

If a person, corporation or trade union intends to spend money between May 2, 2022 and election day, on advertisements or other materials that support, promote or oppose a candidate in the municipal election, or a question on the ballot, they are conducting third party advertising and must register with the City Clerk.

Third party advertiser registration must be certified by the City Clerk before they can accept any contributions or spend any money on advertising.

What Isn’t Third Party Advertising

  • Advertisements by or under the direction of a candidate
  • Issues-based advertising during the election period (with the exception of advertising that has the purpose of promoting, supporting or opposing a “yes” or “no” answer to a question on the ballot)
  • Advertising that does not cost money to post or broadcast, such as comments made on social media
  • Messages distributed by:
    • an individual to their employees
    • a corporation to its shareholders, directors, members or employees
    • a trade union to its members or employees

Rules for Third Party Advertising

If a person, corporation, or trade union wishes to spend money on advertisements that promote, support, or oppose a candidate in the 2022 municipal election, they must first file a Notice of Registration with the City Clerk. A third party advertiser cannot raise or spend money on their campaign until their registration has been certified by the City Clerk.

Learn more about how to Become a Third Party Advertiser and for contribution and spending limits, refer to Third Party Advertiser: Manage a Campaign information.

Candidate Involvement in Third Party Advertising

Third party advertising must be done independently of candidates, who are not able to direct a third party advertiser. If a candidate wishes to purchase or direct their own election campaign advertising, they must follow rules under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 at identify themselves on their advertisements.

Third Party Advertising Complaints

If you believe that a third party advertiser has contravened the Municipal Elections Act, please complete Third Party Advertiser Complaint Form and send the complaint to