Appoint A Voting Proxy
If you are an eligible elector and are unable to vote for any reason on any of the available voting days, you may appoint another eligible elector to vote on your behalf by completing and submitting a Voting Proxy Appointment form for certification by the City Clerk.
There are three ways you can obtain a Voting Proxy Appointment form:
- You can call our office 416-338-1111 or,
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or,
- You may pick up a Voting Proxy Appointment form in person from Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m at any of the City Clerk’s Office locations:
- Election Services, 89 Northline Rd. (East York)
- Registry Services, Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen St. W., Rotunda (Service Canada area)
- Registry Services, Etobicoke Civic Centre, 399 The West Mall, Main floor
- Registry Services, North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge St., Ground floor
- Registry Services, Scarborough Civic Centre, 150 Borough Dr., 3rd floor
Forms may also be certified during regular business hours at the City Clerk locations listed above.
Advance Vote Hours for Voting Proxy Appointment Forms during the Advance Vote:
During the Advance Voting Days October 10 – 14, the City Clerk’s Office locations listed above will be open to provide and certify forms:
- Wednesday, October 10 to Friday, October 12 from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday, October 13 and Sunday, October 14 from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Once you receive the proxy appointment form, you must:
- Complete all the information
- Sign it
- Provide identification (photocopies are acceptable)
- Tell your proxy who you wish to vote for.
Your voting proxy must:
- Present the Voting Proxy Appointment form in person, along with identification of both the elector making the appointment (photocopies acceptable) and the elector appointed as the proxy (original copies). Forms can be submitted in person for certification by the City Clerk or designate during regular business hours and extended hours during the Advance Vote (see above).
- Once the form has been certified the Proxy will vote on your behalf at the location where you would vote during the advance voting period or on election day. Not sure where to vote? You can call us at 416-338-1111 or enter your address into MyVote.
It is very important to remember that the Voting Proxy Appointment form must have signatures from both you and the person you appoint as proxy in order for the City Clerk or designate to certify the form.
Your proxy must be someone who is an eligible elector in the City of Toronto, and who you trust to vote in accordance with your wishes. A person may act as a voting proxy for one person who is not a family member; or may vote on behalf of any/all immediate family members. Immediate family members are your spouse, sibling, parent, child, grandparent and grandchild.
Note: A person acting as executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity is still required to obtain a proxy certificate.
For more information you may consult section 44 of the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.