The City is improving the east washroom and maintenance building in Bluffer’s Park. This project includes upgrades to the existing washroom and maintenance building and a new outdoor plaza, with amenities and landscaping. The design for these spaces will be determined with the help of community engagement.
- Spring 2022: Hire a design team
- Summer 2022: Community engagement
- Fall/Winter 2023: Design development
- Spring/Summer 2024: Hire a construction team
- Fall 2024: Construction starts
- Winter 2025: Construction complete
The timeline is subject to change.
The timeline for the design development phase has been extended in order to address improvements to the existing infrastructure.
Design development is in progress in preparation for construction procurement, which is anticipated for summer 2023.
From July 29 to August 12, 2022, feedback on the improvements coming to the park were collected in an online survey. The design team will use the community feedback to develop a design. The survey received almost 1,400 responses, which included feedback from more than 3,100 participants of various ages.
Survey respondents were able to indicate the design features they preferred in four areas:
- As part of the improvements to the pavilion and surrounding area, respondents prioritized accessible pathways, including access to the beach, and a play space for all ages.
- As part of the improvements to the area between the pavilion and the existing parking lot, respondents would most like to see seating, including weather-protected seating areas (72 per cent), and more trash and recycling bins (66 per cent).
- As part of the improvements to the area between the pavilion and the beach, respondents would most like to see a bottle filling station or drinking fountain (85 per cent) and more shade via trees or other structures (71 per cent).
- As part of a new multi-use pathway that will pass by the pavilion, respondents prioritized a bottle filling station (84 per cent) and places to sit and rest (82 per cent) next to the trail.
About the Project
Bluffer’s Park East Washroom will be improved with the following:
- New all-season gender-inclusive and accessible washrooms
- Administrative and support spaces for maintenance and operation staff including a garage
- New mechanical/electrical/lighting systems that are net-zero carbon
- Outdoor showers
- Outdoor plaza with seating and bike parking
- Accessible pathways within the landscape including to the beach
- Play space for all ages
- Plantings including shade trees, pollinator, and native species