Giving Up Your Pet
How to Surrender a Pet
- Pets (living or deceased) can be surrendered by their owners.
- Call 416-338-PAWS (7297) to book an appointment (scheduled Monday to Friday).
- No appointment is necessary if pet is deceased.
The Surrender Process
- You can surrender an animal at any of our shelters, regardless of where you live in Toronto.
- Owners should provide proof of ownership for the animal if possible (e.g. adoption papers, veterinary records) and proof that they live in Toronto (photo ID if possible).
- Owners will be required to sign documentation transferring ownership of the animal to the City. Owners may be required to fill out an Animal History Form at the time of their appointment.
- Bring all records (medical history, rabies and/or sterilization certificate, etc.) to scheduled appointment.
- Once ownership is signed over, the final outcome decision (adoption, transfer to rescue group or euthanasia) will be made by the City and you will not be advised of the outcome.
* Additional fee for non-resident: $50
* If you are a Toronto resident who can show proof of an annual household income of less than $50,000, fees may be reduced or waived.
|Litter of kittens||$20|