Giving Up Your Pet
Please note: Due to increased animal populations in the shelters, our ability to accept animals surrendered by their owner is limited at this time. If your situation is urgent, please contact us at 311. We will continue to monitor this situation. Thank you for your patience!
How to Surrender a Pet
- Pets (living or deceased) can be surrendered by their owners.
- Call 416-338-PAWS (7297) to book an appointment (scheduled Monday to Friday).
- Deceased pets can be brought to any of our shelters any time between 12:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. No appointment is necessary. The shelters are open seven days a week; closed on holidays.
The Surrender Process
- You can surrender an animal at any of our shelters, regardless of where you live in Toronto.
- Owners should provide proof of ownership for the animal if possible (e.g. adoption papers, veterinary records) and proof that they live in Toronto (photo ID if possible).
- Owners will be required to sign documentation transferring ownership of the animal to the City. Owners may be required to fill out an Animal History Form at the time of their appointment.
- Bring all records (medical history, rabies and/or sterilization certificate, etc.) to scheduled appointment.
- Once ownership is signed over, the final outcome decision (adoption, transfer to rescue group or euthanasia) will be made by the City and you will not be advised of the outcome.
* Additional fee for non-resident: $50
* If you are a Toronto resident who can show proof of an annual household income of less than $50,000, fees may be reduced or waived.
|Litter of kittens||$20.37|