Capital Funding for Community Child Care Expansion
As a result of the recent Provincial Child Care Expansion Plan and the Canada-Ontario Early Learning and Child Care Agreement, grants are now available for the expansion of not-for-profit licensed child care spaces in the infant, toddler and preschool age groups.
The provincial and federal agreements have provided funding to support child care operators expanding licensed capacity for younger children. This capital grant will be available to non-profit and public agencies who operate outside of a school.
Children’s Services is committed to increasing access to child care for more families and is providing funding to operators for the capital construction costs and to equip the space. This grant will cover 100% of the capital costs and does not require an agency contribution.
Project agreements must be in place by December 2017 and construction completed by December 2018. Applications that are unable to meet these time frames will be held for future consideration.
- Capital renovations – renovation projects up to $500,000 to reconfigure existing space to add infant, toddler and preschool capacity within an existing child care centre.
- Major capital – capital projects over $500,000 for new builds or additions.
Applications will be considered against the principles in the 2015-2019 Service Plan and community need and should support equity in the child care system.
Eligible applicants must
- be a non-profit or public agency
- have a Toronto Children’s Services fee subsidy contract in good standing for a minimum of one year
- have the space available for expansion
- complete the capital project and/or renovation by December 2018
- create additional spaces
Priority will be given to sites located in areas of the city where there is insufficient licensed child care space to meet community need.
Agencies must fill out an application form and send by mail or email to:
Karen Gray, Director Service System Planning & Policy Development
Toronto Children’s Services
10th floor, Metro Hall
55 John St
Toronto ON M5V 3C6
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Capital Funding Grant’
- deadline for applications is November 30, 2017
- A separate application form must be completed for each project
- Applications will be reviewed for approval at the time they are received
- The City will confirm approved projects by December 2017
- Applications that don’t meet the time frame will be held for future consideration.