Training Opportunities for Social Housing Providers
Shelter, Support and Housing Administration offers various training opportunities, which are outlined below.
To Register for a Course
- Complete the registration form. If filling out electronically, be sure to download and save the form on your computer first. For the course you select, choose two training dates (if available) from the schedule. You will be enrolled in your second choice in the event that your first one is full.
- If you have any questions about registering, please call us at 416-392-4126.
- Your registration will be confirmed.
ONPHA’s online “ABCs of RGI” course is the required training for new housing provider staff responsible for RGI administration. The online program is offered four times per year and is tailored to Toronto’s local context and rules. Participants will have two months to complete the approximately twenty-hour course.
A reduced rate is available to all Toronto housing providers: $210 plus HST for ONPHA housing members and co-ops, and $300 plus HST for non-profits who are not ONPHA members.
The course is offered four times per year and enrollment is completed online. Before enrolling in the course, you will be required to have or set up an account with ONPHA, and use the username and password provided to register for the course.
Click the links below for course information and registration instructions for:
The City has partnered with ONPHA to create an online RGI Refresher Course with ongoing registration. This course is intended for RGI administration staff who have previously completed either the City’s or ONPHA’s RGI course, and will cover the most common issues and mistakes. It will also review RGI calculations and any changes or clarifications to the applicable legislation and the City’s Local Rules.
All experienced RGI Administration staff who have not attended an RGI course in the last five years are required to complete this “refresher” course by the end of 2018. Once enrolled, learners will have two weeks to complete online course which takes two to three hours. Participation should be included in housing providers’ Quarterly Reports under the RGI Training section.
Please note that this training is intended only for experienced RGI administrators who have taken comprehensive RGI training in the past, such as ONPHA’s ABC’s of RGI Administration or the City’s previous full day training course.
The rate for Toronto housing providers is: $75 plus HST for ONPHA members and co-ops and $150 plus HST for non-members.
Please indicate when you register that you are a Toronto Social Housing Provider.
This course is mandatory for new staff. It focuses on how to manage the applicant selection process using the Centralized Waiting List.
The course includes hands-on training with Housing Connections’ Web Vacancy Management System in a computer lab setting. The training will incorporate practical examples. In preparation for the course, we suggest you review Chapter 8 of the RGI Administration Manual prior to this session.
Please note that all participants will be required to complete a written test at the end of the training session. The passing mark is 75 per cent. A certificate of attendance will be sent to those who pass the test. Participants who do not pass will be required to re-take the training.
Fall 2018 Schedule
- Wednesday, October 17, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. – cancelled
- Wednesday, November 14, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday, December 13, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Workshops are held at the Toronto Public Service Learning Centre, now located on the third floor at Metro Hall, 55 John Street.
See Registration link above to register.
Shelter, Support & Housing Administration and Toronto Fire present a free workshop for property managers.
- Do you have an up to date, approved Fire Safety Plan?
- Are you documenting and logging information correctly?
- Are there gaps in your fire safety practices? How can these be remedied?
- What can you do to improve fire safety and emergency preparedness in your buildings?
Watch here for upcoming workshop information.