People receiving Ontario Works Assistance or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) can apply. Find a list of supplies and devices that may be covered below. For further details, please speak with your caseworker.

Low-income Toronto residents who need financial help to purchase medical supplies or devices may qualify for help with health-related expenses. For more information, please contact the Application and Support Centre at 416-338-8888.

Note: There is no funding available through Employment & Social Services for any medical benefits or supplies to persons residing in institutions such as Long-Term Care Homes, Homes for the Aged, Jails, Convalescent Homes, Treatment and Special Care Facilities, Group Homes, Long Term, or Chronic Care Facilities.

Toronto Employment & Social Services will cover aids for daily living, up to a maximum amount, as needed. An assessment from an occupational therapist and a cost estimate from a vendor are required for the following:

  • button hook
  • can/jar openers
  • cushion
  • cutting board
  • elastic laces
  • furniture risers/blocks
  • long handle sponge
  • reacher
  • shoe horn
  • sock aid
  • special cutlery
  • other accessories

Carbon Monoxide Monitors and Visual Smoke Detectors

Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will cover the cost of a carbon monoxide monitor and/or visual smoke detector, up to a maximum amount, as needed. A prescription from a physician, an assessment report from an audiologist or the Bob Rumball Centre and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.

TESS does not cover the cost of Life Line alerting systems or monthly fees.

Toronto Employment & Social Services will cover the cost of a blood pressure monitor on an ongoing basis, up to a maximum amount, every two years only if required. A prescription from a physician or health care practitioner with a diagnosis and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.

Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will cover the cost of braces and splints, up to a maximum, as needed. A prescription from a physician or health care practitioner with a diagnosis and a cost estimate from a vendor are required for the following:

  • abdominal support
  • air cast boot
  • brace: ankle and elbow
  • brace: knee
  • brace: shoulder
  • brace: lumbosacral support/abdominal binder
  • cane: fold, quad and walking
  • cervical collar
  • splints: thumb and wrist

The supporting documents must indicate that these devices are required as a direct result of a surgical, radiological, medical procedure or disease.

TESS will not pay for the fitting fees for the items listed above.

Custom braces may be covered, up to a maximum amount, by the Assistive Devices Program (ADP).

Breast Prostheses/Silicon Breast Prostheses

A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis, a completed Assistive Devices Program (ADP) form (Application for Funding Breast Prostheses Grant) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

Breast Prostheses Replacement

Breast prostheses can be funded every two years. However, ADP can cover the cost of a new breast prostheses before the two years if there is a change in body size, shape or medical condition. An application for early funding through ADP must be completed before requesting funding through TESS.

Prosthetic Limbs

An assessment from a member of an ADP amputee team (physician, occupational therapist, physiotherapist, physiotherapist, prosthetist), a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Limb Prostheses) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

ADP and TESS fund prosthetic limbs for conventional upper and lower limb and powered upper limb prostheses. ADP will not fund equipment for occasional use, used only at school or work, for use in an exercise program or for social and recreational purposes.

ADP could take up to six months to provide an approval for breast prostheses and artificial limbs due to fitting and other medical factors.

Lower and Upper Extremity

An assessment from an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Limb Prostheses) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP.

Limb Replacement

ADP can cover the cost of a new limb if there is change in body size, medical condition or the limb is old and not working correctly. A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis, a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Limb Prostheses) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

TESS will fund the remaining 25% not covered by ADP.

Sleeves/Stump Socks

TESS will cover sleeves/stump socks as supplies are not covered by ADP.

Ocular

A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis, a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Ocular Prostheses) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP.

ADP funds custom made ocular prostheses, scleral lens prostheses, trial shells, modification, adjustments, reductions and therapeutic build ups; recolouring and reveining, custom conformers; impressions under anaesthesia.

Ocular Replacement

A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis, a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Ocular Prostheses) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP.

ADP may contribute to the cost of a new prosthesis if there is a change in the medical condition of the orbital cavity, size, affected socket or current ocular prosthesis is no longer usable due to growth or atrophy.

 

Toronto Employment & Social Services will cover the cost of a breast pump, as needed, up to a maximum amount of $399. A prescription from a physician, physician assistant, nurse practitioner or lactation consultant and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.

Cervical pillows can be funded. A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.

If needed, cervical pillows will be covered every two years up to a maximum amount.

An assessment from an occupational therapist or speech-language pathologist, a completed Assistive Device’s Program (ADP) form (Application for Funding Communication Aids) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required for the following:

  • communication display boards
  • electrolarynx devices
  • mounting systems for communication aids
  • teletypewriters
  • voice amplifiers
  • voice output communication aids
  • voice prostheses
  • speech-generating devices
  • writing aids

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP. ADP could take up to six months to approve an application.

Hearing Aids

An audiology assessment from a physician, audiologist or hearing specialist (otolaryngologist must be used for first time applicants), a completed Assistive Device’s Program (ADP) form (Application for Funding Hearing Devices) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will cover a maximum amount for basic hearing aids or FM Systems every five years. Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) Dependent Adults request can be submitted to Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS).

TESS will fund the remaining cost not covered by ADP for a basic hearing aid up to a maximum amount.

TESS may replace a lost or damaged hearing aid including the ear molds and batteries in special circumstances.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP.

Bicross System

ADP does not fund Bicross System.

TESS will cover the cost of a Bicross System up to the maximum since this device is used in combination with the hearing aid.

Bone Anchored Hearing Aid (BAHA) Replacement Sound Processor (with or without abutment)

An audiology assessment completed by a hearing specialist (otolaryngologist) and/or audiologist, a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Hearing Devices) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP. ADP could take up to six months to approve an application.

Cochlear Implant Speech Processor and Replacement

An audiology assessment completed by a hearing specialist (otolaryngologist) and/or audiologist, a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Hearing Devices) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP. ADP could take up to six months to approve an application.

FM system/Teletypewriter (TTY)/Flashing/Signalling Device

An audiology assessment completed by a hearing specialist (otolaryngologist) and/or audiologist, a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Hearing Devices) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP. ADP could take up to six months to approve an application.

Replacement

ADP will cover a replacement hearing aid if there is significant change in hearing loss or medical condition.

Loss/Damaged

ADP will not pay for a replacement during the first five years if the original equipment is lost, stolen or damaged due to misuse.

TESS may replace a lost or damaged hearing aid including the ear molds and batteries in exceptional circumstances.

Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) will cover 100% for a replacement hearing aid if a dependent child loses their aid and ADP will not assist with the costs.

Children Ear Molds

ADP does not pay for ear molds.

TESS will cover the cost of ear molds every 4-6 months due to the growth of the child. A cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor is required.

Batteries

ADP does not cover the cost of hearing aid batteries.

TESS will pay for the initial set of batteries and replacements. A cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor is required.

Hearing Tests

TESS does not cover the cost of hearing tests. Hearing tests are covered by OHIP.

 

Custom Made Orthoses for Hypertonic Scars

An assessment from an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, a completed Assistive Device’s Program (ADP) form (Application for Funding Garment and Pumps) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP.

Pressure Garments for Hypertonic Scars

An assessment from an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Garment and Pumps) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP.

Compression Sleeves

An assessment from an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Garment and Pumps) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP.

Compression Stockings

Below the Knee 20-40 mmHG

A prescription from a physician or nurse practitioner with a diagnosis, product details and cost estimate from a vendor are required.

TESS will cover the cost of two pairs, up to a maximum, every six months.

Thigh High 20-40 mmHG

A prescription from a physician or nurse practitioner with a diagnosis, product details and cost estimate from a vendor are required.

TESS will cover the cost of two pairs, up to a maximum, every six months.

Panty Hose 20-40 mmHG

A prescription from a physician or nurse practitioner with a diagnosis, product details and cost estimate from a vendor are required.

TESS will cover the cost of two pairs, up to a maximum, every six months.

Donning Gloves

A prescription from a physician or nurse practitioner with a diagnosis, product details and cost estimate from a vendor are required.

TESS will cover the cost of two pairs, up to a maximum, every six months.

Air Conditioner/Fan

A prescription from a physician or nurse practitioner with a diagnosis is required. The diagnosis must indicate that a cooling device is required to control the room temperature/humidity as part of a treatment plan, and failing to provide this care would result in a hospitalization or severe risk to life.

One air conditioning unit  or portable fan per family will be covered, up to a maximum amount, every four years including any associated expenses (i.e. installation charges, transportation and delivery fees and all applicable taxes). Funding requests are accepted from June 1 to September 15.

Some medical conditions requiring a cooling device include:

  • cancer
  • chronic heart or chronic lung conditions such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
  • heart or neurological conditions
  • HIV
  • people on dialysis
  • people with chronic mental disorders on medication
  • severe asthma

Toronto Employment & Social Services does not cover the cost of a central air conditioner or ceiling fans.

Cranial and Spinal Orthoses

An assessment from an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, a completed Assistive Device’s Program (ADP) form (Application for Funding Orthotic Devices) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP.

Custom Made Foot Orthotics/Orthopaedic Footwear

A prescription from a regulated health professional (RHP) with a diagnosis, a biomechanical assessment from a chiropodist, podiatrist or an accepted registered health care professional (RHCP, i.e. chiropractor, physiotherapist) and a cost estimate from an approved vendor are required. TESS does not accept assessments from pedorthists.

TESS will cover the cost, up to a maximum amount, every three years as needed.

A biomechanical assessment/gait analysis, casting technique (3D scanning, cast sock or plaster of Paris); (foam box casting is not accepted), diagnosis, lab information, cost estimate is required from an RHP. RHPs can contact TESS at 416-338-8888 for a copy of the updated policy/requirements, fees and payment process.

Children under 6

A referral/prescription is required from an orthopaedic surgeon with a biomechanical assessment, gait analysis, casting technique, diagnosis and lab information completed by a chiropodist, podiatrist or an accepted RHCP. Referrals from a family physician are not accepted.

Children ages 6-14

A referral/prescription is required from an orthopaedic surgeon or paediatrician and must be provided with a biomechanical assessment, gait analysis, casting technique, lab information from a chiropodist, podiatrist or an accepted RHCP. Referrals from a family physician are not accepted.

Custom made orthopaedic footwear must be prescribed as a result of a severe foot condition or abnormalities under three main categories:

  • congenital deformity
  • traumatic injury
  • disease process (amputation or significant bone deformity)

Devices not funded

Orthotics or orthopaedic footwear purchased for convenience, recreational activities, or general comfort including those available over the counter such as:

  • Custom orthotics/orthopaedic footwear based solely on the diagnosis of flat feet in and of itself (i.e. pes planus, fallen arches, talipes planus).
  • Commercially-made orthotic products/devices that are off-the-shelf and sold over-the counter in pharmacies or other retails stores

Pre-fabricated products including:

  • Orthopaedic shoes (also known as “off the shelf shoes”) which have been modified and/or fitted with an orthotic and called ‘custom-made’ or ‘customised’.
  • Arch support sized to the foot length and basic arch height. Orthotics prepared without the appropriate gait analysis/biomechnical assessment.
  • Orthotics prepared without the appropriate gait analysis/biomechanical assessment or was not performed by an approved RHP in the area of orthotics.

 

 

All diabetic supplies are covered by Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS).

Freestyle Libre and sensors are funded through the Ontario Drug Benefit Program up to a maximum amount.

The Canadian Diabetic Association (CDA) can be reached at 416-363-3373.

Blood Glucose Monitor (Glucometer) – for clients who are non insulin dependent

A prescription from a physician or nurse practitoner with a diagnosis, a completed Assistive Device’s Program (ADP) form (Application for Funding Insulin Pumps and Supplies for Adults) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

The costs will be covered for glucometers when the test trips are funded under the Ontario Benefit Card.

ADP will pay 100%, up to a maximum amount, for an insulin pump.

Supplies are issued yearly with an insulin pump and paid in installments every three months.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP.

Supplies for Insulin Dependent

Canadian Diabetes Association will cover 75% of the cost, up to a yearly maximum amount, for lancets and blood testing strips.

A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis, daily requirements, verification of CDA application and payment plus a cost estimate from a pharmacy are required.

Supplies for Non Insulin Dependent

A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis, daily requirements and a cost estimate from a pharmacy are required.

Syringes

A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis, daily requirements and a cost estimate from a pharmacy are required.

Test Strips

A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis, requirements and a cost estimate from a pharmacy are required. The prescription is valid for 12 months.

Diabetic Socks

A prescription from a physician or a Healthcare Professional (HCP) with a diagnosis are required. A cost estimate is not required. Diabetic socks are funded by TESS every six months as needed up to a maximum amount.

 

An assessment from a physician, nurse practitioner or nutritional specialist with a diagnosis and requirements, verification of completed Assistive Device’s Program (ADP) application form (Application for Funding Enteral Feeding Pump and Supplies or Application for Funding Ostomy Grant) and a cost estimate from an approved vendor are required for the following:

  • feeding bags/containers
  • tubes and catheters
  • other accessories associated with using the feeding pump (e.g. travel case, intravenous pole)

ADP will pay 100%, up to a maximum amount, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP.

ADP covers portable or stationary pumps and may pay for other feeding supplies.

Temporary

A prescription from a physician or nurse practitioner with a diagnosis including monthly requirement (one or two ostomies) and cost estimate from a vendor are required for the following:

  • bags
  • flange
  • odour eliminator
  • pouches

Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will cover the cost of temporary ostomy needs up to a maximum of six months.

Permanent

A prescription from a physician or nurse practitioner with a diagnosis including monthly requirement (one or two ostomies), completed Assistive Devices Program (ADP) form (Application for Funding Ostomy Grant) and cost estimate from a vendor are required for the following:

  • bags
  • flange
  • odour eliminator
  • pouches

Permanent ostomy items are funded by ADP. TESS will only cover the cost in special circumstances, up to a maximum of three months, while the ADP application is being processed

EpiPens are covered under the Ontario Drug Benefit (ODB) Program. A physician must complete the Exceptional Access Forms.

An assessment  from a physician or nurse practitioner, a completed Assistive Devices Program (ADP) form (First Time Application for Funding Home Oxygen Therapy) and a cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will pay 100%, up to a maximum amount, for people who are:

  • 65 years or older
  • receiving social assistance
  • residents in a long term care home
  • receiving professional services through the Local Health Integration Network

ADP will pay 75% of the monthly cost of the basic oxygen supply system for people who are 64 years or younger and do not meet any of the other criteria listed above.

TESS will cover 25% of the difference between the ADP approved maximum and vendor pricing.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP.

Manual or Electric

An assessment must be completed by an occupational therapist with the diagnosis including medical condition and reasoning to support the need for a manual or electric bed. The assessment must also say if the bed is required to prevent wounds or skin breakdown.

Repairs to Hospital Bed/Mattress

An assessment from an occupational therapist with diagnosis and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.

Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will cover the cost of repairs for hospital beds and mattresses. A cost estimate is required from the vendor who must indicate if the parts are covered under warranty or if the warranty has expired.

Hospital Bed Accessories

An assessment from an occupational therapist with a diagnosis and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.

Fall Mat

An assessment from an occupational therapist with a diagnosis and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.

Mattress Cover, Bumper Pad

An assessment from an occupational therapist with a diagnosis and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.

Rail, Wedge, Trapeze Bar

An assessment from an occupational therapist with a diagnosis and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.

 

 

A contract exists between the City of Toronto and  the following vendor for selling and delivery of incontinence/ostomy supplies and products:

Ontario Medical Supply (OMS)
Telephone: 1-800-267-1069 ext. 29930
Fax: 1-800-804-1112

A prescription from a physician or nurse practitioner (NP) with a diagnosis and amount needed for each item needed per day and a cost estimate from the contracted vendor are required for the following:

  • cathethers
  • gloves
  • pad(s)
  • reusable underpads
  • underwear
  • wipes

If the item(s) in the OMS product list do not meet medical needs, the physician or NP must provide a detailed reasoning in writing to explain why the supplies being offered do not meet the needs of the person applying.

If the contracted vendor is unable to provide the required medical item(s), two cost estimates from other vendors will be accepted.

Items cannot be returned to the vendor if the packaging has been opened or discarded.

Toronto Employment & Social Services does not cover the cost of incontinence supplies for dependent children under 18 or clients who are eligible for Interim Federal Health (IFH) funding. Please refer to the following resources for details.

Easter Seals (Dependent children 3-18)

The Easter Seals program offers a grant in two annual installments for incontinence supplies to Ontario residents between the age of 3 to 18 years old with a valid Ontario Health Card. For more information, visit the Incontinence Supplies Program for Children and Youth with Disabilities or contact Easter Seals at 1-888-ESS-KIDS (1-888-377-5437)

Interim Federal Health Program

For refugee claimants who are receiving health benefits under the IFH program, a request for incontinence/ostomy supplies must be submitted to this agency for funding.

 

 

An assessment from an occupational therapist with a diagnosis and cost estimate from a vendor are required for the following:

  • electric hoyer
  • free standing lift and bath lift
  • manual lift
  • portable lift
  • sling
  • super pole

Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) does not pay for ceiling track lifts. Funding may be available through Easter Seals for children or the Ontario March of Dimes.

Installation – Super Pole

An assessment from an occupational therapist with a diagnosis and cost estimate from a vendor are required.

TESS will cover the cost of a super pole and installation in the bedroom or living room for people receiving assistance from the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP).

Repairs to Lifts (manual or electric lifts, bath lifts)

An assessment from an occupational therapist with a diagnosis and cost estimate from a vendor are required.

Replacement Slings

An assessment from an occupational therapist with a diagnosis and cost estimate from a vendor are required.

TESS does not pay for repairs and batteries for lifts or replacement slings for people receiving assistance from ODSP.

Replacement slings are covered for people receiving assistance from ODSP.

Porch/Stair Lifts/Home Modifications

TESS does not pay for porch and stair lifts or home modifications. An application can be made to the Ontario March of Dimes who offers funding for mobility aids that may include lifting equipment or Toronto Renovates through their Home and Vehicle Modification program.

A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis and cost estimate from a vendor are required. A prescription is not required if documentation for a mastectomy was previously provided.

Toronto Employment & Social Services will cover the cost of mastectomy bras, up to a maximum, every 12 months.

A prescription from a physician or a referral from an occupational therapist and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.

Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will cover the cost of a medical alert bracelet, up to a maximum amount, every two years as needed.

TESS does not pay for ongoing alerting systems or monthly fees.

Canes: All Sizes

A prescription from a physician or occupational therapist with a diagnosis and cost estimate from a vendor are required.

Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will cover the cost, up to a maximum amount, every 12 months as needed.

Crutches

A prescription from a physician or occupational therapist with a diagnosis and cost estimate from a vendor are required.

TESS will cover the cost, up to a maximum amount, every 12 months as needed.

Rollator

An assessment from an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, a completed Assistive Devices Program (ADP) form (Application for Funding Mobility devices) and cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP. ADP could take up to six months to provide an approval for mobility aids.

Scooter

An assessment from an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Mobility devices) and cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP. ADP could take up to six months to provide an approval for mobility aids.

Transport Chair

An assessment from an occupational therapist with diagnosis and a cost estimate form a vendor are required.

TESS will cover the cost, up to a maximum amount, as needed.

Walkers/Skis Wheeled and Non Wheeled

An assessment from an occupational therapist with diagnosis and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.

TESS will cover the cost, up to a maximum amount, as needed.

Wheelchair: Back Up

An assessment from an occupational therapist with diagnosis and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.

TESS will cover the cost, up to a maximum amount, as needed.

Wheelchair: Manual

An assessment from an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Mobility devices) and cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP. ADP could take up to six months to provide an approval for mobility aids.

Wheelchair: Power

An assessment from an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, a completed ADP form (Application for Funding Mobility devices) and cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required.

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP. ADP could take up to six months to provide an approval for mobility aids.

Repairs

A cost estimate from a vendor is required before any work is to be completed.

Obus Form Back/Seat Support

A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis and cost estimate from a vendor are required.

Toronto Employment & Social Services will cover the cost, up to a maximum amount, every two years for people receiving assistance from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program.

 

Aerochamber Supplies

A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis and cost estimate from a pharmacy are required.

Toronto Employment & Social Services will cover 100% of the cost for an aerochamber, up to a maximum of $100, as needed depending on the type of aerochamber supplies prescribed.

APAP/BPAP/CPAP Machine and Supplies

An assessment from a physician, respirologist or nurse practitioner with a diagnosis, completed Assistive Devices Program (ADP) form (Application for Funding – Respiratory Equipment and Supplies) and cost estimate from an approved ADP vendor are required for the following:

  • medication compressors
  • high output air compressors
  • suction devices (stationary and portable) and supply items use with the device
  • cardiorespiratory monitors
  • airway clearance devices

ADP will fund 100%, up to a maximum, for people receiving social assistance.

People who are not receiving social assistance may qualify for help with health-related expenses. ADP will pay 75%, up to a maximum amount, and Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay the remaining 25% costs.

TESS does not pay for items or equipment not covered by ADP.

TESS will cover the cost of CPAP replacement supplies, up to a maximum amount, every six months for tubing and filters or every 12 months for mask and humidifier chamber with a cost estimate from a vendor.

TESS does not cover any costs when ADP has no funding for CPAP machines. ADP does not pay for any supplies (i.e. tubing, filters, masks, humidifer chambers) required for CPAP machines except with the original purchase for people who are receiving assistance or those who are not.

Other items that are not funded include:

  • CPAP machine cleaner
  • distilled water
  • heated tubing
  • nasal gel
  • tubing covers
  • wipes

TESS will cover the cost of CPAP pillows, up to a maximum amount, every two years for people receiving assistance from ODSP. TESS will not cover the cost of other CPAP supplies for people receiving assistance through ODSP.

ADP will pay for suctions machines, tracheostomy equipment and supplies. Replacement equipment will be funded if the equipment is still under warranty or no longer in good working condition. TESS will cover the cost of these supplies and accessories.

An assessment from an occupational therapist and cost estimate from a vendor are required.

Toronto Employment & Social Services will cover the cost, up to a maximum amount, as needed.

A home safety assessment from an Occupational Therapist and cost estimate from a vendor are required for the following:

  • bath brush
  • bath life
  • bath mat
  • bath stool
  • bath and transfer bench
  • commode – all types (regular & bariattric)
  • grab bar
  • shower chair
  • shower head
  • super pole
  • tub clamp
  • tub rail
  • toilet seat
  • toilet safety frame

Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will pay to cover the costs of supplies, up to a maximum amount, as needed.

Toronto Employment & Social Services (TESS) will cover the cost of eyeglasses for people receiving assistance from Ontario Works through the contracted vendor, City Optical.

TESS will accept applications for dependent adults receiving assistance from the Ontario Disability Support Program.

Toronto Employment & Social Services will cover the cost of one wig and accessories, up to a maximum amount, every 12 months. A prescription from a physician with a diagnosis and a cost estimate from a vendor are required.