The waiting list for subsidized or Rent-Geared-to-Income housing through Access to Housing is long and you may need other options until something is available. Did you know that there are different types of subsidized housing you may be eligible for including supportive housing and alternative housing? Learn where to apply for subsidized housing.

You can also contact a Housing Help Centre to get help to find and keep housing.

Some housing providers prefer to take applications directly, rather than through Access to Housing. These are usually known as “alternative housing providers” and may have specific eligibility criteria.

See a map and list of the places you can submit applications to specific housing providers as well as the locations for Access to Housing, Access Point, Developmental Services Ontario and the Centre for Independent Living.

To maximize your chances of getting a subsidized unit, it is a good idea to submit an application with Access to Housing even if you apply elsewhere.

The Canada-Ontario Housing Benefit (COHB) is a housing allowance program that provides eligible households with a housing benefit to assist with the cost of rent. The benefit amount is determined by the Province and paid directly to clients or their landlords.

For information about the COHB, please visit the City’s Canada-Ontario Housing Benefit (COHB) – City of Toronto website.

Supportive housing can be a good option for people with special situations. Follow these links to apply directly for supportive housing: