Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) housing is social, or subsidized housing. Learn more about the RGI subsidy.

If you have a support worker, they may be able to help you find housing; or you can contact a Housing Help Centre directly.

Housing Stabilization Fund (HSF) provides money for emergency housing needs to people in Toronto receiving financial assistance through Ontario Works, income support through the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or support through Emergency Assistance issued to migrants under an emergency authorization for humanitarian reasons. HSF is intended to prevent homelessness and help obtain and retain housing.

The Toronto Rent Bank, a partnership between the City and Neighbourhood Information Post, provides grants to eligible Toronto residents who are behind on their rent or need help with a rental deposit. By providing these grants, the Toronto Rent Bank ensures that people at risk have the support they need to stay in their homes and prevent homelessness.

As of April 1, 2022, the City no longer accepts new applications for the Tenant Support Grant.

Going forward, tenant groups do not need to apply for a Tenant Support Grant to hire legal services to dispute eviction and/or affordability matters. Instead, tenant groups can now access legal supports from a designated legal organization. See details below.

There are no changes for tenant groups that already have an approved Tenant Support Grant for an application submitted prior to April 1, 2022.

The City will continue to make Tenant Support Grant payments in accordance with the requirements explained in your grant commitment letter.

Please email if your tenant group has a question regarding your approved Tenant Support Grant application.

New Legal Service Available for Tenants Living in Private Market Rental Housing

As of April 1, 2022, the Tenant Defence Fund was replaced by the Toronto Tenant Support Program (TTSP). Under the new program, tenant groups can directly access legal services (CCHR) to address eviction and affordability matters, such as above guideline rent increase notices, N12 notices and N13 notices.

The Canadian Centre for Housing Rights (CCHR)  will provide legal services to tenants, tenant groups and/or tenant associations in private market rental housing. If you are interested in receiving more information about the legal services provided by CCHR, please contact CCHR directly.

The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) allows residential tenants to reduce their rents when the rental buildings in which they live have had a property tax decrease over two consecutive years. Municipalities are required to send notices about the tax decrease and rent reduction to landlords of affected buildings by September 15 and to tenants by December 15.

Under the RTA, notices must be sent if the tax decrease is more than 2.49 per cent and there are more than six rental residential units in a building, i.e., multi-residential rental properties. In 2001, Council adopted a policy that notices must also be sent to buildings with six or fewer units, i.e., residential rental properties, to ensure that tenants in smaller rental buildings have the same opportunity as tenants in multi-unit buildings to automatically reduce their rents.

For more information, see rent reduction information under Property tax.

Low-income Toronto residents may qualify for help from the City of Toronto with energy-related emergencies.  The Emergency Energy Fund (EEF) can help to reconnect, prevent disconnection or to assist in the payment of energy arrears for hydro, gas or oil services.

People on Ontario Works may receive a one-time payment of up to $50 to reimburse the cost of items such as:

  • caulking
  • sealing or weather-stripping for doors and windows
  • insulation for hot water pipes and hot water tanks
  • flow restrictors for shower heads

Who Can Apply

To be eligible, you must receive Ontario Works and:

  • be responsible for paying the bill for the specific utility
  • not pay for these costs as part of your monthly rent
  • provide receipts for the purchase of items that will help conserve the utilities you pay for (such as fuel, water, or electricity)

How to Apply

To apply for this one-time payment, please speak to your Ontario Works caseworker.  You will need to provide proof that you pay for the specific utility and provide receipts for the energy conservation item(s).  This benefit is only paid as a reimbursement.

High utility bills may put low income homeowners and tenants at risk. The programs listed below may be able to provide financial help. For more details on eligibility and applying contact the program directly.