Skip to content
If You Pick Up Needles, Handle Them with Care
- Hold the needle tip away from you.
- Be careful not to prick yourself with the needle.
- Put the needle into a Sharps Container, a plaster container with a lid or a sealable container.
- Protect your hands.
- Use tongs to pick up the needle to transfer it to a sharps container.
- Ensure the needle tip is held away from you.
- If you do not have tongs, use puncture resistant gloves.
- If applicable, always follow your agency’s safer disposal of sharps policies and procedures.
The Proper Disposal of Needles Is Important
- Do not put a container with needles into the garbage or recycling bin.
- If you have a contract with a disposal company, secure the sharps and have them picked up accordingly.
- Put the container in one of the Outdoor Needle Drop Boxes or call 311 to find out where else to take it.