Multi-tenant houses, also known as rooming houses, can include a house, apartment or building where you share a kitchen and/or washroom with four or more people who each pay individual rent.

Multi-tenant houses (rooming houses) are only permitted in the former cities of York, Toronto and Etobicoke. Rooming houses that operate in Toronto and Etobicoke must be licensed.

Rooming house bylaw and list of licensed rooming houses and bachelorettes (converted houses).

Further requirements for rooming houses are found underĀ  Part 9 section 9.3 of The Ontario Fire Code.