Senior Project Manager
To provide advanced project and stakeholder management and technical expertise supporting Engineering and Construction Services for the capital works program. To provide project planning and oversight from inception through the design, construction and warranty period of large scale, complex and multi-disciplinary capital works projects involving water treatment, storage and pumping station facilities, solid waste transfer stations and processing facilities.
- Provides leadership for large complex projects, ensures effective teamwork and communication, manages stakeholder expectations, and delivers high standards of work quality and organizational performance and continuous learning.
- Manages multi-disciplinary project teams and supervises/directs project team members, professional engineers, engineering consultants, technical personnel and contractors.
- Manages assigned projects from inception to completion. Assesses financial forecasts, schedule, scope requirements/changes, develops terms of reference, fully defines project deliverables and manages, documents and obtains appropriate authorization for changes.
- Leads the review of drawings, purchasing documents and specifications prepared by staff, contractors, and consultants.
- Prepares Committee and Council reports, presentations, Briefing Notes, technical reports, Requests for Proposals, Requests for Quotations, contract plans, specifications and estimates for Tenders.
- Ensures that the project expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Oversees and reviews the work of technical and non-technical staff, professional engineers, engineering consultants and engages consultants/contractors by preparing Request for Proposals and bid packages.
- Negotiates and settles financial disputes and claims from contractors, consultants, vendors, other stakeholders and external parties.
- Participates in the preparation of capital and operational budgets related to assigned projects and evaluates the projects method of delivery. Deals with complex cost-sharing arrangements for the construction of municipal infrastructure. Identifies and advises on opportunities for bundling projects that present added value to the City and other stakeholders.
- Provides technical advice and expertise to support the units of the Division/Service Area/Corporation.
- Applies existing criteria in innovative ways and draws conclusions from comparative situations.
- Identifies, evaluates and provides technical expertise and recommendations for the resolution of contract issues, property, environmental and risk management issues and public safety in compliance with the City/Provincial/Federal policies and by-laws within assigned projects. Ensures compliance within guidelines by acting as a signing authority.
- Represents the Division/Service Area/City at meetings with the public, stakeholders and councillors.
- Evaluates proposals, tenders and/or bids and makes recommendations for award of contracts.
- Finalizes contract payments and implements quality control/quality assurance for construction projects.
- Oversees and evaluates the work performance of external service providers with respect to quality, timelines, cost and completion of required tasks.
- Secures permits and approvals as required from external agencies.
- Maintains relationships with councillors, the public, consultants, government agencies, developers, suppliers and contractors relative to the positions responsibilities.
- Analyzes business processes and related data to enable continuous improvement and control measures for quality, efficiency and effectiveness of services and formulates recommendations.
- Ensures the proper maintenance of all required documentation and produces or supervises the production of such documents.
- Performs site inspections and audits and formulates strategies to address changed or unexpected conditions on construction projects.
- Monitors, controls and prepares timely status reports capturing dynamic design and construction information and project progress in support of Senior Management and internal stakeholders.
- Leads, solves, investigates, conducts studies, analyses, surveys, researches and develops effective solutions for complex problems while controlling measures for quality, efficiency and effectiveness of services.
- Establishes and maintains linkages to other units in the City to co-ordinate input and ensure effective partnerships.
- Promotes standardization relating to project administration, documentation, processes and technical design.
- Ensures excellent customer service is provided to both external and internal clients