Marketing Display Permit
Marketing displays are used to display and sell goods, food or merchandise outside a commercial or industrial premise on a city owned property or sidewalk. Goods in the display must be similar to those that are sold in the adjacent business.
About Marketing Displays
Sidewalk marketing displays are used to display and sell goods, food or merchandise outside a commercial or industrial premise. Goods in the display must be similar to those that are sold in the adjacent business.
Who Can Apply
Individuals, partnerships or corporations
How To Apply
Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor as applications must be processed in person.
Review the regulations in the new bylaw for marketing displays.
Download the application guide to review the requirements for your permit
One piece of valid government issued identification is required for an officer or signing authority (for corporations), who appears on the Primary Business Licence.
Site Plan of Proposed Marketing Display
All applications must include:
- Two copies of a professionally drawn site plan showing all dimensions of the proposed marketing display.
- Measured distances between the proposed marketing display and the location of the street and face of the curb. Side property lines, fire hydrants, trees, and other permanent objects (i.e. hydro poles, tree pits, litter bins, etc.) on the street must be included.
- All measurements must be in metric
Submit the following with your application if the proposed marketing display will have an awning:
- Certificate of Fireproof rating
- Mechanical specifications of the awning
- The awning checklist included in the application package.
Description of Merchandise
A description of merchandise to be displayed.
All applications must include:
- Three photos of the marketing display, one from the front and one from each side.
- Photos any awnings.
Proof of at least $2,000,000 of comprehensive insurance against loss or damage resulting from bodily injury to or death of one or more persons, or from loss of or damage to property resulting from any one accident.
The completed insurance form must be signed and stamped by the insurer.
There are two permit fee zones:
- Central Zone: the downtown area as defined in this map. The boundaries are Bathurst Street to the west, the Dupont rail corridor to the north, Rosedale Valley to the north-east and Don River to the east.
- Outer Zone: the remaining area outside of the central zone.
|Fee Zone||Marketing Display ($/m2)|
- Marketing display application fee is $765.
- Permit transfer fee: $676.27
- There are no application or permit fees for small marketing displays, which are no more than 0.8m x 5.5m.
What Happens After You Apply
Applications take six to eight weeks to process. Staff will contact you via email or hard copy letter with instructions once your application has been approved.
Permit Renewal Information
Your permit will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the permit was first issued.
The renewal fee will be calculated based on a variety of factors, including where your patio will be located.
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the permit, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the permit expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual permit fee.
If you fail to renew your permit according to the bylaw, your permit will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.