Tow Truck Owners
A licence is required to own a tow truck, which is a vehicle that the public can pay to tow other vehicles. Individual owners may drive their tow truck without obtaining a separate tow truck driver licence.
Individuals, partnerships or corporations.
Please review application requirements outlined below and complete any required forms.
Visit the Licence & Permit Issuing Office at East York Civic Centre located at 850 Coxwell Ave, 3rd floor as applications must be processed in person.
Note: As of June 3, 2019, applications will not be accepted unless all documents are submitted.
Original documents required for all applications (and renewal transactions).
Two pieces of government-issued identification from ALL directors/officers on the Corporation (one must be photo ID):
- Canadian Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- SIN Card (Social Insurance Number)
- Valid Work Permit
- First and last names must match on all identification
- We do not accept Health Cards
- Identification is required for all officers/directors listed on the Articles of Incorporation, Corporate Profile or Federal Form 6
All applicants must also provide the following:
- a business address;
- a copy of provincial business name registration;
Corporations must also provide:
- a copy of Articles of Incorporation (Note: If there has been a change to the list of officers and directors, please also provide a current Corporate Profile Report or a Federal Form 6)
- the Annual Return for Corporation Form which lists all current directors & officers of the Corporation. This must be:
- original as copies will not be accepted
- signed by an officer/director of the Corporation. The Form cannot be signed by a designate of the Corporation
If a director of the corporation is unable to apply in person at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office, a designate may apply on their behalf. The designate must:
- have an original letter advising of their signing authority on corporation letterhead, signed by a director of the corporation dated within 30 days
- provide two pieces of identification for themselves
- provide two pieces of identification for each officer and director of the corporation, or, if original identification is not available, notarized photocopies of the identification will also be accepted
Note: The designate will not be able to sign the Tow Truck Acknowledgment Form or the Annual Return Form.
Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check
Applicants must provide an original Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check issued by a Canadian Police Service within 280 days prior to the application.
A designate applying on behalf of a corporation must also provide a Criminal Record & Judicial Matters Check for each officer and director of the Corporation.
Tow Truck Acknowledgment Form
All tow truck operators must sign a Tow Truck Acknowledgment Form which includes:
- Towing Services and Billing Consent
- Zoning Bylaws
This form MUST be signed by one of the officers or directors of the company.
Provincial Driver’s Licence
Applicants who will also drive the tow truck must present a valid provincial driver’s licence.
Applicants must provide proof of
- $100,000 in Legal Liability insurance for damage to customers’ vehicles while in the care, custody or control
- $50,000 in Cargo insurance
- $2,000,000 in Personal Liability and Personal Damage (PLPD) insurance.
The completed insurance form must be signed and stamped by the insurer.
Schedule of Rates
A schedule of rates is to be filed at the East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell Avenue. The schedule of rates should list maximum charges for specific towing services. Towing rates set by the City do not need to be filed.
A schedule of rates must be re-filed when any changes occur or when upon renewal of a licence. The list of rates will only be accepted on the approved City of Toronto form can only be signed by a director of the Corporation.
An original copy of the provincial vehicle registration, where the name and address match the applicant’s.
If the applicant is a partnership or corporation, the vehicle ownership must be registered to the partnership or corporation.
Painted with Contrasting Colours on Both Sides of Vehicle
Client’s Name: 10 cm. (approx. 4 inches) in height
Licence Number: 6.3 cm. (approx. 2.5 inches) in height
Plate Number: 15 cm. (approx. 6 inches) in height
If you lease your vehicle, a lease contract must be provided with all applicable signatures.
The run sheet which tow truck drivers will use to record their tows must be approved by City staff.
It must include:
- The name of the licensee and business address
- Operating name
- A description of the vehicle towed including its provincial motor vehicle permit number, the rate charged and the total charge collected
- Excerpt from bylaw Chapter 545
Annual Inspection Certificate/Safety Standards Certificate
An Annual Inspection Certificate that has been completed within the last 12 months must be provided. If the Annual Inspection Certificate is over 36 days old, a valid Safety Standards Certificate issued by an approved Ministry of Transportation Vehicle Inspection Centre, not be more than 36 days old, must also be submitted.
Provincial Driver’s Licence & Driving Record Abstract
Sole Proprietors are required to provide a valid provincial driver’s licence and driving record abstract: a three year driving history recorded by the Ministry of Transportation. This must be less than 30 days old.
This record, along with other documents submitted, will determine whether there are concerns with the applicant obtaining a licence.
Staff will take a photo of the applicant , if a Sole Proprietor, at the Licence & Permit Issuing Office.
Your licence will expire annually on the anniversary of the date that the licence was first issued.
The renewal fee is $797.49
A renewal notice, identifying any documents required to renew the licence, will be mailed to the address on file.
Payments received after the licence expiry date are subject to late fees in addition to the annual licence fee.
If you fail to renew your licence according to the bylaw, your licence will be cancelled and you will have to reapply.