Important Information about Marriage Licences

  • A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario (or the publication of banns from a church)
  • Apply for a marriage licence within 90 days of the day you intend to be married
  • The licence is valid for use anywhere within Ontario
  • Everyone is welcome to apply for a marriage licence and get married in Ontario, whether you live here permanently or temporarily. There are no gender, residency, citizenship or medical requirements when applying for a marriage licence. The requirements are the same for everyone.

Obtaining Your Marriage Licence

Submit Your Marriage Licence Application

Each person applying for the marriage licence must provide 2 pieces of acceptable government issued identification from the list below:

  • Identification must be valid and original (we will not accept photocopies, scanned images or pictures on electronic devices).
  • Identification must provide your legal name and date of birth.
  • Your first and last names must match on the two pieces of identification that are presenting.
  • To have your middle name(s) included on your marriage licence it must also appear on both pieces of identification.
  • Identification on the list can be from any country, as long as it is government issued.
  • If the identification is not in English, a written translation from a certified translator is required.
  • Health cards, S.I.N. cards and Refugee Protection Claimant Documents will not be accepted.
  • Expired identification will not be accepted.

Acceptable identification

  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Driver’s Licence
  • Ontario Photo Card (Purple photo ID card)
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Canadian Citizenship Card)
  • Conditional Release Identification Card
  • United States Green Card
  • Native Status Card
  • Record of Immigration Landing
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residency
  • Permanent Residency Card
  • Citizenship Card
  • Identity Card
  • Nexus Card
  • Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)
  • Possession & Acquisition Licence (PAL)

There are two options:

  1. Resubmit your application online and ensure to print the form when prompted; or
  2. Both applicants attend the marriage licence appointment and our office will print the application. The application requires original signatures from both applicants.

Divorced in Canada

You must submit official proof of the divorce when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of a:

  • Certificate of divorce
  • Final decree

All documents will be returned. A certified copy of either of the above divorce documents may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce.

A divorce certificate for a divorce granted in Toronto can be obtained at the Superior Court of Justice, 361 University Avenue. For business hours call 416-326-4230.

If you do not know where your divorce was granted you can contact the Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings or 1-613-957-4519.

Divorced Outside of Canada (Foreign Divorce)

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to obtain a Foreign Divorce Authorization from the Province of Ontario, Office of the Registrar General.

Marriage Office
PO Box 4600
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON  P7B 6L8

You will need to send the following to the address above:

  • Completed and signed marriage licence application
  • Statement of sole responsibility
  • Legal opinion letter: from an Ontario lawyer
  • Original or court-certified copy of the divorce decree or annulment in English or French. If the document is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator.

For more information or forms including a sample legal opinion letter please visit the  ServiceOntario website.

Once you have received your Foreign Divorce Authorization from the Office of the Registrar General you can make an appointment for a marriage licence.

If you arrive for your appointment without a Foreign Divorce Authorization your marriage licence cannot be issued.

For more information, contact the Office of the Registrar General Marriage Office at 1-800-461-2156 (toll-free) or visit Service Ontario.