Investing in Families
Investing in Families is an initiative designed to improve the economic, health and social status of families receiving Ontario Works benefits in several high-needs communities across Toronto. Employment and Social Services has partnered with Toronto Public Health, Parks, Forestry and Recreation, Toronto Public Library and Children's Services to deliver this exciting program.
Toronto Employment and Social Services and partner divisions provide participating families with access to:
- employment related services such job search skills workshops, resume writing, job skill training, and education upgrading
- recreational and leisure activities
- literacy, homework and computer supports
- health services and supports that promote a healthy lifestyle for children and families, and
- chances to become socially involved in their communities.
In the words of one Investing in Families participant:
"My son has become more outgoing since being involved in [the program]. Staff have been staying in touch with him – through both e-mail and phone calls. Staff are providing motivation and are genuinely interested in my son and me.”