Investing in Neighbourhoods
About the program
Through the Investing in Neighbourhoods initiative, Employment and Social Services helps people who receive Ontario Works connect with job opportunities in non-profit organizations.
The Investing in Neighbourhoods initiative helps with three key objectives:
- To enable people who are receiving Ontario Works to
- increase their skill level
- develop contacts with employers, and
- obtain references with the goal of securing permanent employment
- To strengthen the capacity of communities, with a focus on those that are vulnerable, by supporting non-profit agencies providing services there, and
- To support organizations in improving the quality of life for people living in their communities
Community agencies: how to get involved
|If your organization is looking to create a job opportunity that will strengthen and contribute to your community, Employment and Social Services can help.
To be eligible for this help through the Investing in Neighbourhoods initiative, your organization must:
- Be a non-profit organization
- Be located in Toronto, and
- Create a supervised position that does not displace existing staff or reduce their work hours
Employment and Social Services staff members help screen suitable candidates for the variety of positions that are available.
If you hire someone through the Investing in Neighbourhoods initiative, you can access financial incentives for community agencies, including funding for wages for up to 1 year.
To get involved or for more information, see the Investing in Neighbourhoods Initial Application Guide and Position Application Guide.
“I’m so thrilled with the Investing in Neighbourhoods initiative. This is a project I can stand firmly behind. We are collectively reducing disparity….I have had great results with the qualified participants. I would love the opportunity to do this all over again. Well done Toronto!”
-Partnering community agency
If your organization does not meet the Investing in Neighbourhoods criteria, Employment and Social Services may still be able to help through:
Eligibility for people receiving Ontario Works benefits
To apply for job opportunities through the Investing in Neighbourhoods program, interested candidates must be clients of Toronto Employment and Social Services.
If you would like to find out about Investing in Neighbourhoods opportunities in your area, contact an Employment Centre.
“I felt a great deal of shame not being able to find a job. With 25 years of work experience, even getting a part-time job was frustrating….This job has enabled me to learn new programs and utilize my experience to positively contribute to the organization. I will be forever grateful to everyone who made it possible for me to regain my self esteem, resulting in a better home life for my children.”
-Investing in Neighbourhoods participant