- The world’s first BIA was started in Toronto in 1970. Since then, this innovative public-private business partnership model has been copied internationally. Toronto continues to have the largest number of BIAs of any urban centre in the world with 83 BIAs in 32 Wards.
- BIAs are a dynamic and influential part of the city’s economic and cultural fabric.
- BIA members employ more than 400,000 people in full-time and part-time positions.
- BIAs represent over $56B in Commercial/Industrial Property Assessment and account for 48% of the taxes collected on commercial and industrial properties in the City of Toronto.
- Over 7.4 million people attend the more than 160 community events and street festivals supported and produced by BIAs throughout the year.
- For every public dollar the City invests in BIAs, $30 in private sector funding for marketing, promotion, festivals and neighbourhood beautification projects is generated.
See map showing the locations of BIAs in Toronto.