Skip to content
Back to Top
- Poor mental health is not necessarily the same thing as mental illness. See the mental health continuum grid above.
- One in five Canadians will have a mental illness in their lifetime. This affects every one of us, whether at work, at home or in the community.
- Mental illness affects people of all ages, educational and income levels, and culture.
- Approximately 2.5 million Canadian adults or over 10 per cent of the population aged 18 and older will experience a depressive disorder.
- On any given week, more than 500,000 Canadians will not go to work because of mental illness.
- Stigma or discrimination attached to mental illnesses presents a serious barrier, not only to diagnosis and treatment, but also to acceptance in the community.
- With effective diagnosis, treatment and support, most people can get back to feeling well and being productive.