Economic Development & Culture
Protecting your privacy is top priority for the City of Toronto. You are seeing this alert because your web browser needs to be updated to access content on toronto.ca. You will need to download and install a more recent version of your web browser to use our website.
Economic Development & Culture strives to make Toronto a place where business and culture thrive. The division’s objective is to advance Toronto’s prosperity, opportunity and liveability by:
- fostering employment and investment opportunities
- encouraging Toronto’s cultural vibrancy through more and enhanced cultural experiences
- engaging partners in the planning and development of the City’s economic and cultural resources
Michael H. Williams
Arts and Culture Services contributes to the development of arts and culture in Toronto by consulting with and advocating for the city’s cultural industries; providing financial support to arts institutions and individual artists; and producing major cultural events and inclusive arts programs.
Business Growth Services provides support and assistance to Toronto businesses so they can reach their full potential. Staff help businesses meet challenges and maximize opportunities through a range of programs and services that target startup entrepreneurs, medium- and large-sized businesses looking to expand, sector-specific stakeholders, and members of Business Improvement Areas.
Film and Entertainment Industries supports all aspects of the city’s film, music, tourism and entertainment industries. This includes providing one-stop service for film, television and digital media projects produced in Toronto, as well as offering support for external producers of large festivals, events and conventions.
Museum and Heritage Services operates 10 historic sites – including Toronto’s iconic Fort York National Historic Site – that collectively tell the story of Toronto. Staff manage, maintain, and lead the development and adaptive reuse and restoration of 100 City-owned major cultural and heritage sites.
Program Support provides a number of key functions that help advance the division’s objectives by:
- developing policies and strategies
- promoting and marketing the programs and events developed by the division
- securing sponsorship dollars
- supporting the division’s analytic and data needs and providing economic data to the public
- providing administrative support to the division, including financial planning and budget coordination