2019 Submission Information & Eligibility
Important Dates and Information
The deadline for submissions to the 2019 Toronto Book Awards is April 30, 2019. The annual awards offer $15,000 in prize money: finalists receive $1,000 and the winning author is awarded $10,000.
The 2019 Toronto Book Awards will be handed out in October at the Bram and Bluma Appel Salon in the Toronto Reference Library. Toronto Book Awards produces a full day of programming at Word on the Street (Harbourfront Centre) in September, in addition to a special Toronto Public Library reading, yet to be announced.
To be eligible for the 2019 Toronto Book Awards:
- Submission must contain some clear Toronto content (this may be reflected in the themes, settings, subjects, etc.), but authors do not necessarily have to reside in Toronto
- Books must be published between June 1, 2018 and May 31, 2019 (publishers may submit galleys in lieu of published books for May 2019 releases).
- Fiction and non-fiction books published in English for adults and/or children that are evocative of Toronto are eligible.
- There are no separate categories: novels, short story collections, books of poetry, books on history, politics and social issues, biographies, books about sports, children’s and young adult books, graphic novels and photographic collections are judged together.
- The work should be accessible to a general reading audience (i.e., not written for a specialized or academic audience).
- Ebooks, textbooks, self-published works and ghostwritten works are not eligible.
- Reprinted material will be considered provided it is augmented by new, original work.
- Publish books based on an editorial selection process.
- Be committed to a sustained book publishing program, consisting of titles by a variety of authors. Self-published books are not eligible.
- Pay royalties or financially compensate the author, illustrator or translator for any submitted title.
- Publish no more than 25 per cent each year of works by owners, family or employees of the publishing house.
- Publishers must guarantee their author’s participation in at least two of three official Toronto Book Awards events
There are no entry forms to complete. Simply submit six copies of the book you consider eligible, along with your name, address, phone number and e-mail address to the submission Contact as shown above. Required: Please include a brief description of how/why the book is evocative of Toronto.